1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legally download HD movies?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Wolvreen, May 11, 2004.

1. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a legal way of downloading (say 720p) movies for a HTPC (maybe a subscription website)?

2. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    i am also very intreasted in this, if you find a good one could you please let me know ? ive looked at loads and they all ask you for money before you can see what films they have which im reluctant to do

3. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only known ones i know of are the microsoft wm9 samples, straight from their website

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I admire your bold and original futuristic thinking.

In the Western world we haven't even moved beyond legally purchasing music at bit rates of more than 128Kbps. Legal HD downloads are at least 5 years away even in the US and probably a decade in Europe.

5. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Microsoft's DRM copy protection proves to be tough enough against hacking and pirating over P2P networks (for now it is), then studios may be willing to experiment with HDTV over Internet sooner than most people think.
    The fact that you can download an illegal HDTV copy of LOTR now is the biggest problem for legal distribution of HDTV content online. But these two issues are not directly related. Unlike music, piracy of HDTV content can held in check or even completely eliminated if all HDTV sources are secured. All premium pirated HDTV material that is on Internet now has been recorded from hacked satellite services, in fact only 2 of them - DishNetwork in USA and ExpressVu in Canada. I doubt that anyone has managed to do that from cable, it is usually secure. When these 2 services complete their card swap, HDTV material will be simply impossible to distribute. Until satellite pirates are able to compromise the new access cards (if ever).
    Movies broadcats over free OTA networks - ABC, NBC and so on - are not scrambled and can be easliy recorded and distributed, but they are usually severely crippled versions, because of the commercials. Last Saturday the showing of Harry Potter 1 took 4 hours broadcast time. Same was with Gladiator a few months ago. Studios are not so afraid from these being pirated.
    WM9 DRM has not been compromised so far so there is hope. Unlike DVD, which once hacked is hacked forever, even when hackers finally manage to break DRM on one movie or all movies so far, protection and the required player can be easily changed from that moment on, since they are both software.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I'd much rather pay for it than spend the time downloading it any day.

There is always DVHS as an alternative.

7. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I dont see what diffrence a card swap would make. Only the person ripping the hdtv content will need to subscribe then its business as usual :(