1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legality of DVD to VHS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marvt74, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have some old videos which i want to copy onto dvd as i no longer have a vhs player.

These are only films that have not been re-released on dvd. (silence of the hams, dangerous brothers etc)

Is this legal to do since there is no other way of me getting them on dvd?
    I'll probably also be getting rid of the video version if this matters.

CHeers

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I think if you keep the VHS version the DVD would be seen as a back up, you should be fine doing this.

If you get rid of the VHS copies then i would suspect it would be considered a a copy and not a backup.

:)

3. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yeah, I think you'll be covered by the "backup for reasons of avoiding wear & tear to original" thang, as with computer software.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Marv,

You will be fine, but you should keep the original VHS versions, just in case. However, I am presuming this is stuff you've bought on VHS at some point in time, and are officially released commercial titles, and not titles you've simply recorded from TV broadcasts.

Pooch

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    They will have macrovision protection
    Circumventing copyright protection is against the law, so it won't matter if you own an original or not.

6. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Macrovision doesn't stop you copying though - on VHS the worst you can reasonably expect is the electronic watermark to cause the picture to oscillate in brightness every few minutes.

7. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pooch, yeah they are original tapes not recorded from the tv .

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Marv,

You will need to see if any of the films you want to transfer from VHS to DVD, have "Macrovision" or some other kind of copy-protection system on the video tapes.

If they don't, you should be able to copy them. If they do, then you will need to obtain some kind of copy protection-bypass device. However, if you do, then you would be breaking the law, as videos encrypted with Macrovision or such other copy-protection systems, aren't meant to be copied, and you may well have to simply make-do with owning them on VHS.

You can still buy VHS players, very cheaply, both new and secondhand. This might be something worth considering! After all, you only need a VHS machine that plays, rather than records, wouldn't you?!

Pooch

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Unfortunately, current UK law regards copies made, even for personal use, to be illegal. Quote below taken from here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12/16/uk_movie_biz_strikes_again/

"Unlike US copyright legislation, UK law regards even copies made for personal use as unlawful. Tape a CD you legally own so you can play it in the car, or burn that CD to MP3 and transfer it to your iPod and, here in the UK, you're breaking the law."

John

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    This not a dig directed at anyone, merely my own curiosity. If it's illeagal to make copies of stuff that you own, why are recording devices and their accoutrements(blank tapes/cds) and MP3 players legally available for purchase?

Surely not being able to buy these items and allowing people to break copyright laws would be a better solution if they're so concerned about piracy.

11. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    MP3 players could be justified by legal song download only, although that doesn't cover why Creative players and the like are bundled with cd ripping software.

I would argue that the above-mentioned legislation is so abstruse as to be unenforceable. It has to be obsolescent, doesn't it?

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Because it isn't an illegal activity per se. Copying your own VHS tapes, for example, is quite legal. As is using "copyright free" music and so on.
    It only becomes illegal (and it is the act of making a copy that breaks the law) when the material being copied, is copyright.