Legalities of monitoring private telephone calls.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Johnny Thunder, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    A bit of help please guys.

A friend :)rotfl: , seriously this is not me........my kids are too young) is seriously concerned that
    his daughter is into drugs.
    He has checked email and all the usual stuff, but has found no evidence.
    Where does he stand with regards to monitoring/recording calls?

If this is OK to do, how does he do it?
    A PC is available right next to the telephone line. Could this be used?

Cheers for any/all help.

A belated merry christmas and happy new year to all by the way.

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    There is stuff out there you can buy, but not for less than 150 quid I think. (it clips round the phone wire and records to a cassette. Re-tell do them). Has he actually thought of just asking her?

3. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I dont know of the legalities, but IMO if she is under 18, then he is responsible for her well being, and therefore needs to know such things.

http://www.nch.com.au/vrs/index.html

has some software that does voice recording. Its in australia but I reckon youll get it more local.

4. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Don't teenagers use their mobiles for almost all communication these days?

I would say it is best to just confront her, although carefully.

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    I think it's illegal to do it without permission from the person involved.
    But if he feels it's the only way, I'd take no notice.
    The big concern as I see it, is if he does find out that it's true, how does he approach her? Say he'd been snooping on her?
    IMO, she'd lose all trust in him.

6. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Requires the permission of *all* people involved in the conversation..

7. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Actually, all the people involved in the call just need to be told it is being recorded, they do not need to give permission.

8. mad_matt

mad_matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm not 100% here but.............. if the recording produces evidence that a criminal offence has taken place then its ok, depending on the age of your friends daughter, I assume she is under 18 and therefore is still under the guardianship of her parents. Easiest solution would be to phone the local plod and ask....

9. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    this is only my opinion, and i dont know the severity of this (ie are we talking a bit of weed here and there, or at the other extreme, heroin?), but isnt it a bit much to be spying on your kids? recording phone conversations and reading emails without their knowledge? if i had kids i know they'd lose all trust in me if i did that. he'd still have to talk to her about it if he found evidence of it from recorded conversations, and how would he go about doing that?!

again this is my opinion, but surely the best idea is to talk to her about this. if its serious there may be some sort of problem that underlies this.

edit: i understand that the original question had nothing to do with the morals of it, and more the technical aspects. so i apologise, but ill still keep my opinion up here!

10. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Spot on really...The legalities of it are irrelevant. It's what he intends to do when he finds out. Believe me (I've been there) its a nightmare. Depending on the type of drug and how long She's been taking. Remember that if she's hooked on hard drugs then she will lie about everything and very convincingly. It's something that has to be approached very carefully, with a lot of thought before hand and some professional advice.
    Whatever happens, the indignant, disgusted, You have let us down approach won't work.
    How old is She? Why does he suspect it? What does he suspect the type of drug is?
    If he is a good mate be prepared to be there. It can get pretty rough.
    Hopefully it's a false alarm or some mild experimenting. Good luck to you both...:)

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I believe it is not required to do this if the recording is only for personal use - e.g. there is no intent to share the content. IIRC this applies to your own phone calls not some one else's. If the dad is the bill payer is that relevant I wonder.

12. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They're giving their consent to be recorded by not hanging up when told ;)

13. jimborae

jimborae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If we are talking about listening in, recording private conversations, intercepting email without a persons knowledge & consent, then I believe that it's all illegal except by various Gov agencies who have special powers under the RIPA Act 2000.

14. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Sorry but it depends on use.
    rectel offer a recording service that lets you download the recording to your PC
    see
    wwwdotrecteldotco.uk/

No good for the OP as it is a dial in service - but it is clearly legal viz:-
    "It is not illegal in the UK to record a phone conversation for your own use and you don't have to tell the other party that you are recording the call. If you are recording calls for other purposes we advise that you check the relevant laws before using the recording."

if it is daughter's phone and she pays the bill then it may be more problematic - not to say a technical challenge.

If OP is reasonably sure by her apperance and behaviour that she is doing stuff then he is probably right and is looking for absolute proof before he steps in. can't blame him for that.
    Maybe an appointment at the local drugs treatment centre with one of their advisors (just for the OP) would be a good step forward for him ? at least a phone call to them....

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    you can record anything for your own personal use unless you are instructed not to by a government or military agency...(with certain other exceptions, iirc if a paedophile recorded conversations with children over the phone then these could be used in a court of law) edit: by the way, you can only record your own telephone line obviously, not another persons.....far as i remember its ok to record someone else using your phone line to another person as it is your line...but still not admissable unless all parties informed etc..

you cannot publish in any way shape or form anything you have recorded without consent off all parties concerned...(iirc that even includes anyone or any company that has been discussed even if not taking part)

recordings wont be considered as a legal form of evidence unless all parties involved have been informed they are being recorded AND acknowledged.....unless a court order permitted the recording to take place without all parties consent......(when you phone a company and it says calls may be monitored/recorded/etc and allow the call to continue then that is considered you accepting this) If not all parties give consent by acknowledging they are being recorded then it would not usually be admissable in court, although i believe there are some instances where this can be overridden (presumably national security)

unless this has changed since i last had a chat with a chief of police up the bowls club a couple years ago, what i've said is accurate....