Legalities of downloading ...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by ozthecoz, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ozthecoz

ozthecoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hi - hopefully im not breaking any forum rules aking these questions but its something i have often wondered and would like clarification on.

Is it legal to download a film / tv series which you allready own on disk ? ( ie, i own all series of 24 on dvd - gonna take an age to stick them on to my hard drive to view so am i allowed to d/l them for ease?)

How legal is it to download previous episodes of Lost (for example) to watch when you pay a subscription to Sky - ie ive paid to watch it but missed it type thing ?

I dont advocate piracy and wouldnt think of buying dodgy dvds of the market etc but jut wondering if the above scenarios are classed as piracy.

Apologies to the mods if this dicussion isnt allowed.

Dave

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    I am no expert in legal matters , but as far as I know its only legal to back up disks you already own from those disks.

Copyrighted content made available to download online is being made available illegally in that you are not allowed to make any of your backups generally available to the public.
    So downloading content made available in this way is illegal whether you own the disks or not as you are abetting in illegal distribution , especially if you download to a shared folder as is the case with most torrents.

Sky make available a service by which , if you have a valid subscription , you may watch previously shown content on your computer , but only on one computer with a valid account using the service that sky provide , any other source for these shows is illegal.

Thats how I understand it.

There are some high profile cases currently working their way through the courts , not exactly a thrilling read , but if your interested you could do worse that to start here.

Groklaw - Sony v. Tenenbaum - Court Rules Jan. 22 Hearing Can Be Streamed; Sony Appeals

3. MrE26

MrE26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Isn't bypassing the copy protection also illegal though?

4. solidamber

solidamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    The law that allows you to make a backup of something you already own is a US law, in the UK you are not, technically it is illegal in the UK to copy your own CD to your MP3 player! the government knows this law is outdated and is in the processes of changing it to allow copies for your personal use legal.

bypassing the copy protection is not illegal (unlike in the US) in its own right, the illegality happens when the copyrighted material is duplicated.

UK Copyright Law To Become A Bit Less Ridiculous

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  5. ozthecoz

ozthecoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Some interesting points and wasnt even aware you shouldnt rip dvd / cd that you own :eek: - doesnt suprise me mind you.

Ive personally always thought a good idea for the music / film companies to implement would be a royalty based fee similar to what radio stations have to pay.

Ie - each and every ISP pays royalties to the companies and that cost is passed onto the end user within there chosen net package. Admittedly that means every net user is paying regardless of if they download or not but we do that anway via the license fee / Sky subscriptions etc.

Interesting subject nevertheless

6. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Laws differ from country to country.
    In the Netherlands for example it is perfectly legal to copy (for your own personal use) a cd or dvd you borrow from your neighbour.

7. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Also it's a common misconception that downloading is illegal. It's not.

It is uploading that's illegal as this is where copyright law is breached. Unfortunately Bitorrent and P2P programs by design upload content while you are downloading so if you were to use P2P ot BT programs you will be breaking the law.

This is why Usenet and file hosting sites such as Rapidshare etc.. are popular. Using these methods you never upload any content so never breach copyright.

Ambulance chasing lawyers have got wise to this and are pursuing many civil cases against Bitorrent users.

Personally i think it's about time a digital copy of media was offered either bundled or as an alternative to optical media. It' wouldn't cure copyright theft overnight but would be a step in the right direction for the millions of customers who would prefer to store their media digitally.