• Yes

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Decriminalise it instead. Not sold in shops but legal to grow and smoke

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

liamt

just listening to the Radio2 phone in today and its about legalisation of cannabis.

i just wondered what are people's thoughts about this?

Colorado has legalised it and they now report huge tax income from it which has been spent on schools and hospitals. crime has gone down, suicide rates have gone down etc. also, it has been proven to be far more helpful in treating numerous medical conditions than the alternatives such as opiates. the USA is a strange one though as cocaine is classed lower than cannabis.

there is a lot of nonsense around this drug but i for one have never had a night ruined by stoners fighting in the street.

i have been a smoker since i was 18 and i am now 39 and have had no ill effects of daily usage. i dont drink alcohol bar the odd company night out.

so, should we be allowed to smoke this herb without feeling like a criminal?

personally i think we should have the choice. i would treat it the same as alcohol in regards to driving stoned etc. there is a modicum of danger involved but then again there is a level of danger with many activities that are considered safe (horse riding etc). im happy to be able to grow my own in my garden but will not risk it at the moment.

there is still no proven link between cannabis and mental health.

liamt

another thing to add is that if we do legalise it then the gov should not be greedy. they will most likely try and charge even more than current street prices which would defeat the object.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
All drugs should be legalised.

The percentage of crime that is related to drugs must be phenomenal.
Now I realise that's a very simplistic view and obviously it isn't as simple as that.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
No.
I find the "you don't see stoners fighting in the street" argument lazy and purile.
Fact is there is a lot of evidence to support Cannabis being a 'gateway drug'.

liamt

Having once lived on a street where a house was raided for being a cannabis factory, I'm all for legalising it.
i do love the term 'cannabis factory' this can be for 1 or 2 plants. does this mean i am a greengrocer as we grow our own small amounts of fruit and veg. to me its a daily mail type phrase.

arenaman

Be careful with responses if this is going to turn into a long thread, no posts about who has a cannabis farm in their loft of who's cooking up meth with Walter White ;)

I've mixed feelings but don't think it's working as it is

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
No.
I find the "you don't see stoners fighting in the street" argument lazy and purile.
Unlike fags or booze? They were the first drugs I tried and what probably lead me to smoking weed.

"Gateway drug" is the lazy argument.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
i do love the term 'cannabis factory' this can be for 1 or 2 plants. does this mean i am a greengrocer as we grow our own small amounts of fruit and veg. to me its a daily mail type phrase.
This was a four bed detached house where the loft space and all the upstairs rooms were given over to growing pot. Safe to say it was a factory. I was always telling the local PCSO's I could smell it in the air depending on wind direction but they thought I was nuts. To give them credit they did apologise after the place was raided.

liamt

No.
ah, but most have drunk booze before, so is booze the gateway drug? and then you can also find most have eaten sandwiches previously. they must be the gateway then? :)

to me the problem is that as a kid you are lied to. the police come to school and lump heroin in with cannabis as these evil things. then when you smoke you realise its all BS and you are less wasted than when drunk (and also less likely to do something out of character). cannabis has, in 2000 years, attributed to 2 deaths. both due to heavy weights of cannabis falling on people. now, how many people does alcohol kill each year? the vast amount of violence and sexual assaults etc are attributed to alcohol. alcohol costs us billions a year in health treatment and policing. yet the gov seem happy to tax that. so, logically you either ban alcohol and tobacco as well or you legalise stuff that is less dangerous.

liamt

This was a four bed detached house where the loft space and all the upstairs rooms were given over to growing pot. Safe to say it was a factory. I was always telling the local PCSO's I could smell it in the air depending on wind direction but they thought I was nuts. To give them credit they did apologise after the place was raided.
ah, fair play then. you should class that as a factory.

liamt

It is far too early to use what is going on in Colorado as a reference, it will take years to fully see any positive and/or negative effects.
so, we just keep the status quo for another decade or 2 then? how about portugal and NL then? they have seen positive effects and been going a lot longer. plenty of countries have decriminalised it.

spudtator

No.
That doesn't really hold much water for me. You could also say alcohol is a gateway drug to violence and drunk driving.
I think the majority of people who use alcohol or cannabis do it without any adverse affects to them or others.

p.s. I don't smoke cannabis.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
ah, fair play then. you should class that as a factory.
I wish we weren't moving at the time because the house in question was auctioned a year later and sold for 150K less than the other houses were worth on the street. I would have put a bid in.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Gateway drug is a stupid term in the first place 99% of things tried is from peer pressure - the continuation of it is down to how you're wired inside.

It should be restricted to age 21 when the brain has fully developed as it 'might' bring on other mental conditions a few years quicker. I quit smoking it in my mid 20's cause it would mess with my anxiety, weed makes me very uppy.

It also does tend to make you pretty unproductive if you like to smoke a lot of it and I don't have an 'OFF' button, so no drink or smokes for me either any more. Feel better for it, don't miss it, but had some absolutely hilarious times with it.

Wardy257

so, we just keep the status quo for another decade or 2 then? how about portugal and NL then? they have seen positive effects and been going a lot longer. plenty of countries have decriminalised it.
No with gather data, not opinion and let the government make an informed decision. There is a lot more to this than crime etc.

liamt

I wish we weren't moving at the time because the house in question was auctioned a year later and sold for 150K less than the other houses were worth on the street. I would have put a bid in.
bloody hell, that was an expensive house to have a factory in then! to me this is another thing worth looking at. if legalised/decriminalised we could grow in our gardens. no need for indoor hydro which can cause the odd house fire if people are stupid.

Gateway drug is a stupid term in the first place 99% of things tried is from peer pressure - the continuation of it is down to how you're wired inside.

It should be restricted to age 21 when the brain has fully developed as it 'might' bring on other mental conditions a few years quicker. I quit smoking it in my mid 20's cause it would mess with my anxiety, weed makes me very uppy.

It also does tend to make you pretty unproductive if you like to smoke a lot of it and I don't have an 'OFF' button, so no drink or smokes for me either any more. Feel better for it, don't miss it, but had some absolutely hilarious times with it.
shouldnt booze be 21 then too? since its a depressant and has a quantifiable effect on the brain. plus, alcohol is very addictive, pot isnt chemically addictive.

to me, if we legalised people could grow what they want. at the moment you are in the hands of the supplier. it could be a mellow 6% THC or a brainmashing 30%+. then you have indica/sativa and they are both vastly different (physical / cerebral). in colorado/NL you buy a strain that suits you. sativa is the one that can cause paranoia so stay clear of that and stick with indica. at the moment its like buying a bottle of 'booze' and not knowing if its absynthe or shandy. legalisation would eliminate this.

if i had the option i would smoke pure joints with a very mellow weed and eliminate tobacco which is used to bulk up a joint. the tobacco is doing me far more harm than the pot.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I think it's dangerous to look at the experience of other countries and transplant it over here. We tried to emulate the more sedate europeon 'drinking culture' by extending drinking hours but it hasn't prevented binge drinking and the problems of drink related city centre violence.

Doug the D

ah, but most have drunk booze before, so is booze the gateway drug? and then you can also find most have eaten sandwiches previously. they must be the gateway then? :)

to me the problem is that as a kid you are lied to. the police come to school and lump heroin in with cannabis as these evil things. then when you smoke you realise its all BS and you are less wasted than when drunk (and also less likely to do something out of character). cannabis has, in 2000 years, attributed to 2 deaths. both due to heavy weights of cannabis falling on people. now, how many people does alcohol kill each year? the vast amount of violence and sexual assaults etc are attributed to alcohol. alcohol costs us billions a year in health treatment and policing. yet the gov seem happy to tax that. so, logically you either ban alcohol and tobacco as well or you legalise stuff that is less dangerous.
Really? Now, I'm not going to go off and trawl the internet for Cannibis-related deaths, but I'm pretty damn certain (in fact, I'd bet my house on it) that there have been a few more than 2 deaths that can be attributed to Cannibis. On the Jeremy Vine show that you listened to, there were 2 examples cited. Neither were from heavy weights of Cannibis falling on people. What about deaths caused on the road by users?

I personally believe that in discussions such as this, there will be a certain amount of bias, depending on whether you're a user or not of a particular substance. It'll never be a discussion that either side will really listen to the opposing view either.

I voted no.

liamt

No with gather data, not opinion and let the government make an informed decision. There is a lot more to this than crime etc.
didnt we try it and then sack the experts because the gov didnt agree with them? im sure a trained barrister (tony blair) was much more suited to make an informed medical judgement than a world leader in the field (prof nutt). btw prof nutt said we should classify alcohol up there with heroin and crack with the damage it does to society. he put cannabis and MDMA (ecstasy) below tobacco.

and another point, many more people have died from these new designer legal highs than from the old school weed & E.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
bloody hell, that was an expensive house to have a factory in then!
Everyone was more concerned about the effect on the value of their house than having a criminal gang growing pot on the end of the street or the welfare and safety of their kids.

Wardy257

I think it's dangerous to look at the experience of other countries and transplant it over here. We tried to emulate the more sedate europeon 'drinking culture' by extending drinking hours but it hasn't prevented binge drinking and the problems of drink related city centre violence.
Exactly. I have lived in Portugal for 3 years where you can drink at 16 and never saw a single drunken tennager, over here we get that already!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett