Legal way to find if anyone has a criminal conviction

SOUNDSTYLE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out this information?
Thanks

you can perform a CRB check, not sure if you have to be their employer and or get their consent though

SeanT said:
you can perform a CRB check, not sure if you have to be their employer and or get their consent though
No good for me :thumbsdow :)

SOUNDSTYLE said:
Is there a way to find out this information?
Thanks

What circumstances is it needed for ?

SeanT said:
No you can't perform a CRB check. But, you could ask them to apply for a Basic check, in which case they would be sent a Disclosure Certificate which shows their unspent convictions (taking into account the Rehabillitation of Offenders Act 1984) and you could ask to see it (though they're under no compunction to show you).

Now, CRB still haven't implemented Basic checks yet, so you'd have to get this person to apply to Disclosure Scotland at Scottish Criminal Record Office (which is the Scottish version of CRB). They can apply online here and it's a bargain at £14.10 (less than half what CRB charge for their checks).

Cheers,
Liam

Soundstyle,

For what purpose do you need the check done? Unless it's for very explicitly essential purposes (e.g. employer/employee) or something similar, you'll have to simply forget about getting one.

As far as I know, no ordinary member of the public can legally access such information, under English law! As Liam says, in Scotland, it's slightly different, but you're getting into very suspect territory, unless you have a cast-iron necessity to need access to such confidential info. Anyway, I think you'd also have to inform the relevant person, that you are requesting such a check in the first place, and to get their approval. No approval means no check will get made!

Pooch

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I will have to forget about this one then.

PoochJD said:
As far as I know, no ordinary member of the public can legally access such information, under English law! As Liam says, in Scotland, it's slightly different
Minor technical nit-picking point: Part V of the Police Act 1997 (which is the legislation concerning certificates of criminal records) extends throughout the United Kingdom. CRB do not do Basic Disclosure checks because thier IT supplier hasn't been able to implement that functionality yet. Disclosure Scotland have been doing them since 2003, IIRC.

Cheers,
Liam

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom