Legal to drive in car parks uninsured?

jenic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I always thought you could drive in car parks without insurance, but i have just watched yesterdays traffic cops where the lad got done for it (2 month ban).

Do you need insurance to drive in a car park?

Car parks which have 'unhindered 24 hour access' are classed as public roads.
So that's your average Asda/B+Q etc.
Park and rides too.
So, yes, you do need insurance for those.

Car parks which have barriers and closing times are classed as private ground, so would not need insurance.

Just out of interest, would this still be true if it is your ground, i.e. landlord or leaseholder?

Or if you obtain permission form such?

I rarely knock the police as they have a hard enough job to do but that one last night who done the guy for moving his girlfriend's car across the car park was a plank. He went completely over the top.

This is just pure curiosity.

So in effect, landlord leaves his own car in his own parking lot declared sorn without road tax and insurance is illegal.

This is just pure curiosity.

So in effect, landlord leaves his own car in his own parking lot declared sorn without road tax and insurance is illegal.

If it's a carpark with unhindered access, then it isn't 'his' car park.
It's a public road.
So no roadtax/insurance is asking for trouble, just as it would be parking it in 'the street'.

Would I be wrong to assume there is a lot of grey area?

Most people front drive have unhindered access (probably most popular place to keep a sorn car), and in some circumstance some 'car park' might not even have drawn markings.

I just wondered what would have happened if the boy tried to get permission from land owner and not admit the charges. Is the defintion of 'public road' very clear?

I know a landlord keeps his sorn car on a unhindered, unmark space on a patch of ground with public access, very close to busy traffic.

Would I be wrong to assume there is a lot of grey area?

Certainly, when it comes to large public carparks (Asda/Halfords/B+Q) there is no grey area.
It's public road.
You bash someone's car there and you must exchange details.
You bash someone's car there and leave and you can get done for 'leaving the scene'.
I was discussing this with a woman I know recently, she sheepishly admitted she'd been done for that.
She bashed a car and decided to 'leg it'.:nono:
She was reported and ended up with a fine and 6 points.:smashin:

Smaller, but still unhindered carparks....dunno.
Technically the same, but in practice?
Mmmmmm....?:confused:

Across a car park today around to the shops tomorrow, kill someone the next day.......

Liam

I rarely knock the police as they have a hard enough job to do but that one last night who done the guy for moving his girlfriend's car across the car park was a plank. He went completely over the top.
Well it seems its illegal, and its not like the car park was quiet so he was probably the most reasonable cop on last nights show.

Although thats not saying much, there was the biker cop who couldnt start a scooter, the guy who forgot to childlock both doors, the cops that were going to ban that lass for 2 days but in the end she got off because she kicked off and the arrogant big guy who stopped the other arrogant guy in the zafira, ok he was just as bad but he obviously stopped him because he had a problem with him.

This show used to represent good cops but since it went to wales it seems to be representing all the jobs worths and idiots imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom