1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

legal standing

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by killer10971, May 5, 2005.

1. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i changed my philips 37pf9986 as it had a dead pixel and got a replacement within 2 weeks , unfortuantley the replacement has the blue colour cast on picture in picture.

after talking with the supplier and philips they agreed it was faulty and agreed to change it,that was about 15th march , i hadn't heard anything so i contacted them 4 weeks later and was told they didn't know anything about it.

so i chase them every two weeks and all they say is they will email purchasing , i had enough and said i wanted someone to call me back with an answer and within an hour someone did and basically told me that i ""keep"" phoning about my order and ""as i've been told"" its being looked after by purchasing and would i like a different replacement set (i declined)

what am i legally entitled to and does the manufacturers warranty run from each set or date of purchase , i would take a rebate on the price of the set as im never going to use pip unless a faulty tuner may affect other systems over time

oh i ordered through empiredirect

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You have no contract with Philips so they are not legally obliged to do anything. Your contract is with Empiredirect so it is them that should be sorting the mess out.

You can reject the goods if after giving them 'reasonable' time to resolve the problems they have not provided a satisfactory replacement. You do not have to accept a repair or a sub standard replacement. What is 'reasonable' is not defined.

When I have dealt with my local trading standards in the past, they have always been knowledgeable and helpful. Always worth a phone call.

-Ian

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    The warranty is issued by the manufacturer. However, this is probably a Sale of Goods Act issue - nothing to do with warranty. In which case the retailer has sole responsibility.

If you keep on getting replacements or repairs, your warranty (and any time periods specified or implied by the SOG Act) starts from the day of first purchase.

So, I recommend you insist on a full refund. And then buy again (even if it's the same model). That way, you get brand new rights and warranties each time

5. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    great help many thanks all