Legal Boffins - Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rizza, May 8, 2007.

1. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I bought a Kenwood microwave from Currys late December last year (see this thread) and took out a extended coverplan agreement for £10. Last month the internal bulb stopped working so I called Currys to have it fixed, but they told me bulbs are not covered under warantee or their coverplan agreement.

The bulb is housed within the inner cavity of the microwave and the manual recommends it should only be replaced by a repair centre, so I made the point that the bulb should not fail after just 4 months of normal use except there was a fault, but they said they would only fix it I could get an independent expert to inspect and confirm the unit had a manufacturing fault.

I called Kenwood but they say their branded microwaves sold by Currys are manufactured by Currys under a licence agreement, so as they're not the manufacturers i have to continue dealing with currys. I know there's a law that says something along the lines that goods must be fit for the purpose they were bought, can you please advise what exactly that law is and if I can use it it this case.

The microwave cost just £100 and the cost of thi repair is about £80!

Thanks

Rizza

2. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Talk to your local Trading Standards office.

I'd expect them to back you up in saying that 4 months is not good enough whatever their small print may say.

You have only been using it domestically, I take it?

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,548
    Personally I would change the bulb myself, as I have done before (just don't touch anything else) but if the manual recommends you don't I shall refrain from offering that advice in case you were to take it ;)

Dave

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    thats a tricky one mate as a bub is indeed a consumable but the cost is the labour to replace it not the part as you have the cover plan i would expect them to cover it but charge you £3 or something for the bulb. check the price of the bulb with partmaster first

5. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    The bulbs are replaceable by non trained personnel in a sense but you should really leave it to the pros as the risk of electrical shocks is greatly increased.

I have decided to stand outside any electrical place who tries to worm their way out of a refund or repair wearing a sandwhich board with an appropriate message!

Once they see the customers leaving they'll sort you problem!

Liam

6. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I eventually got a resolution to the problem. l contacted currys authorised repairer (mastercare) to get a quote to replace the bulb but they said they don't repair this brand of oven because 1 hours labour costs as much as the oven so currys always replaces if it's within warantee. The mastercare guy also assured me they had condemned a few in the past with the same problem and he thinks my local branch were just being difficult.

I contacted local trading standards who advised that curry's were in breach of the 1979 sales of goods act because the microwave was not of sufficient quality and durable enough for the purpose for which it was bought.

Following this advise I composed a letter demanding a replacement and called currys head office for one last time before I sent the letter, and sure enough they relented and contacted my local branch to offer me a replacement.

So I went in and replaced with a Panasonic. Whilst there I found out Currys also manufacture phillips goods under a licencing agreement, so I'll be more careful of 'store exclusives' in future. Thanks for all the advice, i found all useful!

Rizza

7. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    Technically u could have demanded your money back, but I guess you were pleased to get rid of the duff one. Did they refund the Coverplan money ?

BTW, dont ever take out the insurance from these guys in the future, just put the money in a separate account and do that every time you buy something...soon mounts up and is there for emergencies if something happens out of warranty (or buy from John Lewis for free extended warranties )

8. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Tbh I needed a replacement asap and the panasonic was the brand I had b4, so the exchange was preferrable in the circumstances.

Believe it or not that's the first time I've ever bought extended warantee, and I did so bcos the sales guy took 50% off and offered 3 years for a tenner. I didn't ask for a refund of the coverplan, I just got the more expensive oven protected under the existing cover. All my other stuff like TV, DVD player, xbox360, cooker and hob came from JL, this was an exceptional case cos my old microwave died on he last day of 2006 and I needed a quick cheap replacement.. but lesson learnt!

Rizza

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,210
    Shops are very unhelpful. I went to return my B&Q own brand lawnmower when the wheel fell off after one lap of the garden. It had a tiny amount of petrol in it so they wouldn't take it back. The guy just stood there sneering as he explained that there was nothing he could do, he seemed happy that he was causing me problems. I almost lost it.

Bearing in mind I called earlier and they said "just bring it back" no problem (a 40 mile round trip) I was very annoyed. I took it outside and tipped it upside down outside the door, went back in and got a refund, think they just wanted to get rid of me because I was foaming at the mouth with rage at that stage.

10. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    you should have just gone in and said to them,that it had been identified as a "code 5" item,and it would have been replaced on the spot.
    works every time..code 5 being currys term for replace or refund,un-repairable item.

11. gadget boy

gadget boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ah, B&Q.

I bought a petrol strimmer (2-stroke) from them last summer which seized after about 30 minutes. I duly rang them and returned to the store with the original packaging etc. After standing in a very long queue I reached the counter and plonked the strimmer on it. There was literally a thimblefull of fuel in it. Conversation went as follows:-

"This has seized on me and I would like a refund"

"Did you use 2-stroke?"

"Yep. Give it a go there is still some in there"

"Can't do that Sir. Please bring it back when it is empty"

There then followed a quote of the health and safety laws pertaining to storage of flammable substances. I felt like pointing out the several hundred bottles of white spirit, paint, glue etc but instead I picked up my strimmer and walked out of the store to the front door and emptied the fuel on their doorstep. I waited until it had evaporated (how responsible) then I then rejoined the back of the now longer queue for another go. Conversation went as follows:-

"This has seized on me and I would like a refund"

"Whats that smell?"

"2-stroke"

"I will have to get my manager"

Manager arrives and picks up strimmer.

"Hmmm. Did you use 2-stroke?"

At this point I felt like shoving 2-fingers up his nostrils and asking his opinion on the mixture. He then tried to start the strimmer. It of course wouldn't budge.

"looks like there is no fuel in it mate, you don't have any with you do you?"

The next 2 minutes have been blanked from my memory but I got my money back.

12. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Yep the mastercare guy told me to tell curries it was "code 5" and the store still refused after I used that term, in fact they went as far as saying code 5 was used for a customer fault. Clearly my local branch had it in for me, but based on this experience I'm unlikely to patronise them again.

Rizza