1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left handed camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gadgetman, Dec 19, 2004.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Okay I know this sounds a bit silly but my father in law is desperate to get a camcorder that he can use. The problem is that he has lost his right arm. He finds my camcorder difficult to use as the wrist strap is on the right and the screen folds out from the left. This makes it awkward to use. Alsoit is difficult with the zoom button on top.
    Can anyone recomend a camcorder that would would be easy to use to a left handed one armed person that would make his day.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't recommend a specific camcorder, but I can recommend a grip and lanc controller which might help.

Jessops do a angled grip which threads into the tripod socket and can be mounted on either the right of left hand side of the camcorder. Cost, £10.

Jessops also do a budget lanc remote controller which could be fitted to this grip, controlling rec start/stop, zoom in/out at different speeds, and even manual focus.
    Cost £30.

It's only really the high end canons that support the lanc facility, although most sonys also support it (check before buying specific model).

It's a bit heath robinson, but it should do the trick.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I am left handed and have just come to accept that this is a right handed world! But then again, if there was a left handed cam it would be no good to me as I am blind in the left eye and so would need a standard cam if useing the viewfinder.
    I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever seen a left handed camcorder and TBH would not really expect there to be one. The amount that would sell would never be enough to cover the production costs. Therefore I think Roys suggestions above are going to be about the best bet.

Mark.

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello again,

tried this combo out, depending on the size of the LCD screen you can mount the grip to the left (LCD side) of the camcorder, this is the most ballanced set up, but not the most ergonomic.

By mounting the grip to the rear of the cam it is less ballanced (a bit front heavy, could be painful to hold for extended periods) but more comfortable to operate the controls, and easier to see the LCD.

I've attached some pics of the array to give you an idea of what I mean, the 'reach' of the grip can be adjusted, I have a v.long capacity battery on the cam, and it's also a large cam by current miniDV standards, so a more compact sony cam might work better for yer pop-in-law.

I used to do video access courses for special needs students and found these kind of set up's invaluable.

Attached Files: