Left 4 Dead

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Shacknews, Valve have delayed the release from Q1 2008 to late Summer. Shame really as I was really looking forward to this. Anyway, the guys over at PC Zone have had a massive playthrough and written their impressions here.

Left 4 Dead is not easy; viral armageddons so rarely are, as Noël Coward might say after a sip of tonic water. But it makes for some great moments of stress, drama, triumph and overwhelming failure. The dash for the safe holes with a gang of infected athletes chasing you down is pure 28 Days Later, and the degree to which that feeling has been recreated in a game without any real script is incredible.

The official website is here. Anyone else looking forward to some zombie shooting co-op carnage? :cool:

Yep, should be great fun. The game's been designed with co-op in mind so hopefully it will deliver. Also, I'm looking for a fresh take on the whole zombie thing.

Dead Rising was a nice departure from the RE games and I'm hoping this will be just as innovative.

hi
read this way last year when it first announced...it does look good with the 4 player co-op mode ...lets just hope the hype is true ....might be worth the delay.....also have a look at the trailer for res evil 5 on ps3 ...another to watch out for !

Well I'm just hoping that the 4-player co-op isn't dropped to have something less convenient. I was really disappointed that Blacksite dropped its co-op as it was 'too hard' to implement. but knowing Valve I'm sure they won't break a promise.

I read the PC Zone preview as well and it sounded really good.

It sounds like you really need to work together and can't solo through it. :)

I think they said that you can progress on your own but there are some bits where you need to join others to get through it.

There's two hands-on previews of the game from the guys at Shacknews.

As Valve's only announced title for 2008, and with Turtle Rock Studios now officially part of the Valve family, expectations for Left 4 Dead are rather high. Fortunately, our brief time with the game indicates that it will be well worth the wait.

Also, check out this vid from G4TV - which also has some video of the game. I can't wait for this!

It's stated for sometime in the second half of this year - my guess is around October/November unfortunately.

I'm not one of those ppl who's really into zombie films, games etc... but i've liked the idea/sound of this game since the first day i heard about it. The fact co-op is an absolute must instantly made me think of the potential on XBL so my first though was to get it for the 360 but after recently getting a new pc and the potential for modding i'm in a real dilemma of which version to get???
Really hope this lives up to my expectations, haven't been able to find a bad word about it in any preview so it's looking promising, i think september is when most people are expecting it to be released but who knows until we get confirmation.

It looks different to some zombies games as in this clip looks like zombies are gonna move fast and be able to climb:D

Looks pretty damn sweet. Love the speed of the zombies!

It looks different to some zombies games as in this clip looks like zombies are gonna move fast and be able to climb:D
Ye the zombies will defo move fast its been confirmed right from the start, but the most innovative feature in this game IMO is the "director" which basically controls the pace of the game and ensures each playthrough is different (wow i sound like i'm selling this game!) by making sure your never finding it too easy or too hard by determining how many zombies there are and where there coming from so it can go from fairly quiet/tense one min to being completely overwhelmed the next!

Yeah i read about it how its saying it not just all killing there is puzzles too:D

fast zombies :thumbsdow

IGN have a decent interview with the devs behind Left 4 Dead.

IGN: Having read so much about the game, it's only after getting to play Left 4 Dead that we saw what it's really about. Will you be putting a demo out there so people can see the game for themselves?

Chet Faliszek: We're definitely going to make it accessible to people so that they can make a decision based on being able to play it. I don't know yet how we're going to do it.

IGN: Co-op play is starting to come into its own this generation. Will it play a large part in the future of gaming?

Chet Faliszek: It's now really easy for you to go on a server and find your friends. We're doing a lot of work on Steam for Left 4 Dead, and our matchmaking there will be what you expect from a co-op game where you want to play with four friends. And that's bringing co-op to the forefront - that's where lots of people hang out with their friends these days, and you don't always have to be competing against your friends. It really is the core experience of four-player co-op – you're with your buddies trying to do these things you always see in the movies. You can see the interaction here today where everyone's screaming along and having a great time. That's the story of Left 4 Dead - you've got to play that part and then talk to your friends about it afterwards. We want to create the situation where you yell and talk about it, and it's like you're doing Mystery Science Theatre while you're playing the game. You see your friends die, you see your buddies being idiots and you talk about it. We want to have that level of interaction.

This video gives an idea as to what the gameplay will be like. The game at this stage still seems quite zombie with zombie clipping into tables and chairs etc. The action looks good but there doesn't seem like much variation right now.

This video gives an idea as to what the gameplay will be like. The game at this stage still seems quite zombie with zombie clipping into tables and chairs etc. The action looks good but there doesn't seem like much variation right now.

I agree there doesnt look like much variation but still it looks a lot of fun!

The main issue for me is that it seems very fast paced and 'twitchy', hardly any time to create tension. I'm hoping they are just showing the manic bits and that this just won't be a grind all the way through.

The main issue for me is that it seems very fast paced and 'twitchy', hardly any time to create tension. I'm hoping they are just showing the manic bits and that this just won't be a grind all the way through.

Completely agree, you need loads of quiet parts, with dramatic music to really build up the tension.

I hope they manage to make it tense, you can't have zombies without the waiting !

Shacknews are saying that the release date for this is November 4, looks like it'll be a busy winter again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom