1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leema Xyp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dubbing Mixer, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll declare an interest first. I know, and used to work with the guys who make these. But that hasn't stopped me reviewing at least one of their other products unfavourably.

Spent a happy afternoon comparing the Leema Xyps to my Dynaudio BM15 passives.

Despite being smaller (and prettier) than the BMs, the Xyps are more open and, on a fairly wide range of material, more honest than the BMs. The real giveaways are female vocals, piano and especially bass guitar. Althought the BM15s are no slouch at any of these the Xyps just articulate better and place things in the sound stage more accurately. Bass guitar notes are more obviously separated and distinct. The difference was not so great as to have me reaching for my chequebook but, to put this in perspective, the (more expensive and much smaller) Leema Zens, which I also have a pair of, make the difference much more obvious. But these really need a sub-woofer to compensate for the lack of the lower octave or so. One of these days, I hope I will be able to afford the full 5.1 set-up.

No sales pitch, but anyone who really reckons they have 'golden ears' really needs to hear Leema's speakers before buying elsewhere.
    I am led to believe the floorstanding Xaviers combine the virtues of the Zens with the bass extension (and more) of the Xyps. I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing them and I'll report back here when I do.

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Dubbing Mixer.

I also use Dynaudio BM15's.
    For anyone who doesn't know, these are fairly big 'standmounters' normally used in Studio's

A 5.1 setup of Leema Xens & a good subwoofer would be quite desirable i'd imagine.

That might be something i'd look @ in the not too distant future.

Adzman

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Adzman,

You're not kidding! Wait till you hear their sub.
    It just depends how critical you like your listening to be. The Xens are definitely 'better' and so they should be given the higher price, but the Xyps may be easier to live with.

I'd love to hear the Xens against Quad electrostatics. I suspect they would be surprisingly close (except of course the Zens go far louder.)

Switching back and forth between the BMs and the Xyps was an interesting experience and neatly demonstrated the way the ear adapts. Whichever way we switched, the ones we switched to always sounded 'wrong' somehow for the first few seconds. We could actually feel our ears adjusting to the new sound each time over perhaps five seconds.

I also did a very unscientific comparison with a spectrum analyser and for what it's worth the Xyps are flatter than the BM15s from mid frequencies upwards. The room makes any comparison of the bottom end meaningless.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    If the Xyps were the ones that were playing at Bristol, then, yes, they are very nice.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Xyp was the middle sized speaker at Bristol and whilst the speakers are excellent the marketing is non existent and if the lack of response to an email that I sent them two months ago is indicative of their customer care policy, I would tread very carefully before dealing with them.

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ian,

Leema are only now 'ready to go' with proper funding and distribution in place. If you e-mail info@aspen-media.com, the response should be very quick. If it isn't or anyone has any problem contacting them, let me know and it will be fixed!
    These guys are used to dealing with studios where slow responses are not tolerated.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is a difference between slow response and no response and I know that they received my email as they acted upon two of my suggestions.

8. ChrisDMC

ChrisDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aspen Media distribute Leema Acoustics, & any failure to respond to an enquiry is of great concern to us.

IanJ, you don't say where you sent your enquiry, to us or Leema themselves, but I do have an email enquiry from an Ian J******* at 20:00 20/3/03, replied to the next day at 9:30. If this was you & you didn't receive this, please email me off forum & I shall resend it. Please accept my apologies.

If this wasn't you, or you haven't had a reply to subsequent mails, please contact me at leema@aspen-media.com & I shall respond after Easter.

To clarify the current position with Leema Acoustics, they have been making special efforts to ensure their first shipments are perfect, & expect to start shipping to dealers in the next week or so.

Establishing a new brand of speakers in a v.crowded market, however great they may be, is a long, slow & costly process. But we are confident they are sufficiently special & remarkable to make the grade and value the support of the enthusiasts here that help to spread the message. Thanks.

9. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas what the price of the XypA (Zippers) is going to be?

10. ChrisDMC

ChrisDMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

The XypAs are expected to retail at £1199.95 incl VAT per pair.

11. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh damn, I knew they were going to be competitive, but not THAT competitive.

If they're available singly for £600 odd then I may be hammering my credit card for five of them soon:( :smashin:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you heard them ?

13. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet, but as soon as I find a dealer who has them I shall be demoing straight away.

That and I trust the opinions of those who have heard them.:smashin: