Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Leema Xen vs Blueskys - opinions please :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Triggaaar, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Well, I'm down to a choice of two, for my 5.1 set-up, and I haven't even heard Leemas yet (demo in the pipeline).

2 Choices
    5 * Leema Xen, plus Parasound amp (maybe a 1205 for £575 :)) = £3075
    3 * Bluesky 6.5s, 2 * 5s = £1675

Its for movies and music (will use sub for stereo) in living room. Leema's win hands down for looks and size, but Blueskys are almost half the price.

Unfortunately, demo rooms will be completely different to each other, so difficult to compare fairly - unless I sort out home demos, which could be tricky as amp is involved too.

All opinions appreciated (except ones suggesting other speakers ;))

Thanks

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    What are the other bits (sub, av processor, DVD player etc)?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    This should be a short thread then as there can't be many who have heard both and will give an unbiased opinion. :D

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Never one for doing what I am told I have dug up the following quote for you after the Bristol show :-

As Nobber said these speakers are something special and if they were around when I bought my M&K Pro speakers I would have gladly had them instead.

A little more expensive than the Blue Sky but cheaper than the Leema you will never forgive yourself if you don't at least give them a demo.

Full details here

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    I've heard the Blue Sky's. Liked them alot actually. Thought they were more musical than the M+K stuff in the same room (which cost a magnitude more). I've only heard the Leema's and Totems at HiFi shows. Thought the Totem systems were tuneless and boring but that may not have been the speakers fault....could've been the partnering equipment. Liked the Leema demo though.

I think the only way you're going to get to bottom of this is to try and get demo's.

Gordon

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Dont know about the Leema's (isnt that a desert rat ?) but I have heard the Blueskys and although they look like they could do with a facelift, for the money they sound very good indeed.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Sub is likely to be a Velo SPL 1200 II.
    Processor=Meridian 561.
    DVD player is likely to be an SDI mod Arcam (not sure which).
    Music from a dedicated PC, via Squeezebox, digital out to Meridian.

I have demoed the Blueskys, and am in the process of organising a demo of Leema, but the 2 demo rooms are poles apart.

Totem Rainmakers finished in a lovely real wood finish - that makes things easy then - wife has said no to any large expanse of wood veneer (her friends have always told me they can't understand her taste?).

I'm concerned that the Blueskys are very direction dependant (as in, they should all be pointing at the listening position) creating a smaller sweetspot, which isn't great when you've got a few people watching. Am I right to be concerned?

8. abluesky

abluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both the SAT 6.5 and SAT 5 have very wide, smooth and flat, on & off axis frequency response. The recommendation for pointing the speaker towards the listening area, as shown in our manuals, comes from an ITU standard, which you can also read about in this AES paper ( http://www.aes.org/technical/documents/AESTD1001.pdf ). Aiming the speakers towards the listening area typically reduces some of the side wall boundary interference, which can hurt imaging and negatively impact a speaker's frequency response.

Below is some measurement data that illustrates the on and off axis response of the SAT 6.5. You will notice that both the on axis and listening window response is smooth and flat (and much better than most speakers / monitors on the market). This should contribute to a large and evenly covered sweet spot.

Hope that helps!

on axis frequency response versus listening window. Listening window is an average of the +/- 15 degrees horizontal and +/- 15 vertical measurements.
    [​IMG]

on axis frequency response versus horizontal average. Horizontal average is comprised of +/15 degree and +/- 30 degree measurements.
    [​IMG]