Leeds castle - bird of prey portraits

Yandros

Novice Member
We had an afternoon at Leeds Castle in Kent, so I had another chance to shoot their falconry display. Sadly I totally botched the ariel shots this time :mad:, but I got a couple worth posting

Nikon D200+18-200VR @95mm 200 ISO 1/1000th sec, f5.3

Nikon D200+18-200VR @150mm 100 ISO 1/250th sec, f5.6

I switched over to the 105VR for a few portraits...

Nikon D200+105mm f2.8 VR 100 ISO 1/400th sec, f2.8

Nikon D200+105mm f2.8 VR 100 ISO 1/320th sec, f3.2

Oops, couldn't resist a sneaky flower shot!

Nikon D200+105mm f2.8 VR 100 ISO 1/3000th sec, f3.5

and one specially for Hollowlegs!

Nikon D200+105mm f2.8 VR 100 ISO 1/500th sec, f2.8

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I like number 2 as it is a bit unusal. Looks like the light was a bit tricky but some nice shots nonetheless, number 4 is also a nice shot.

ksten

Novice Member
#4 for me. It looks as though it's warming its wings in the sun, but it's in the shade!? My work monitor isn't callibrated but the sides of its face and particularly around the right eye look very dark. Is there enough detail there to lift the levels slightly?

Cheers.

Yandros

Novice Member
#4 for me. It looks as though it's warming its wings in the sun, but it's in the shade!? My work monitor isn't callibrated but the sides of its face and particularly around the right eye look very dark. Is there enough detail there to lift the levels slightly?

Cheers.
He was actually having a stretch, but the wider wing shots weren't so good as I had a very shallow DOF, and I also lost the wingtips out of frame. Yeah there is room to boost the levels around the face - good spot there. I used Capture NX control points on a couple but missed that bit (the chest of #1 was totally black in the original for example)

Yandros

Novice Member
I like number 2 as it is a bit unusal. Looks like the light was a bit tricky but some nice shots nonetheless, number 4 is also a nice shot.
That's her in mid alarm call. There are some interesting shots of her (fake) snake killing too.

I didn't really think the light was bad at the time, but I realised it was pretty contrasty when I started PPing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom