led ?

brickie58

Standard Member
Reaction score
firstly, i am new to forum so hello to all, led tv is this the future and should i buy one instead of lcd? i know led is sort of lcd but backlit, what are the pros and cons of both, thanks.

Why no plasma? :)

read about screen glare and less screen life than lcd led ? (plasma that is)

Yes, they are more reflective but most LEDs-LCDs also have gloss screens nowadays - is the room extremely bright?

The screen life difference is nonsense, each should last you 30+ years (about 100,000 hours for a Panasonic plasma)

If you prefer LCD/LED, then no worries, but have a visit to the plasma section and read the stickies :)

What's your budget by the way?

thanks again budget £500 been looking at panasonic tx-l42e30b but am open to other more experienced opinions as this would be my first upgrade from my old clunker off a telly.

firstly, i am new to forum so hello to all, led tv is this the future and should i buy one instead of lcd? i know led is sort of lcd but backlit, what are the pros and cons of both, thanks.

LED/LCD TVs do not have significant cons that would play a role in altering your decision. Though each technology has some pros and cons but if pros outweigh cons then there should hardly be any complains. LEDs fall in the same category and if you are planning to buy one, do it for sure.

If you do not have any reflection issues in the room you will site the TV, then as vickster suggests, Plasma would be my first choice, or if you are sold on LCD/LED, the Samsung UE40D5520 has great reviews in your price range, but also has a high gloss screen... The Panasonic 30B series have matt screens, also around your price range.

Alan.

If you do not have any reflection issues in the room you will site the TV, then as vickster suggests, Plasma would be my first choice, or if you are sold on LCD/LED, the Samsung UE40D5520 has great reviews in your price range, but also has a high gloss screen... The Panasonic 30B series have matt screens, also around your price range.

Alan.
why would plasma be your first choice?

thanks for all your answers but i knew this would happen:laugh: do i go for plasma,led.lcd, i dont know enough about them all i want is a reliable telly with a good picture that will last for years! so give me your valued opinions on all of them thank you again.:confused:

If lookint at same price point...pros

Plasma usually - better blacks, no issue with viewing angles, smoother motion, less gaming lag, more natural picure

LCD/LED - slimmer, brighter picture, bit less electricity but backlight bleed is very common, especially with edgelit LED

Did you head to the plasma forum and scroll through the info at the top?

why would plasma be your first choice?

I read through the plasma forum on here, and many reviews of both plasma and LCD/LED on other sites over the past couple of weeks, and in my price range, as vickster points out, far more pros than cons with plasma, and a superior picture in my opinion, and the opinion of many reviewers.

I am not hung up over the slimness of the LCD/LED sets, just the need for a matt screen swayed my choice... just keeping my fingers crossed that the LCD/LED I have ordered does not suffer too badly with backlight bleed.

Alan.

ok so we are heading for plasma as the best option then? can you recomend some models for me to have a look at then please and keep the opinions coming thanks to everyone who has posted.:clap:

One in the price range I was seriously considering was the PANASONIC VIERA TX-P42S30B 42"... presently £499-00 at JL with 5 year warranty... http://www.johnlewis.com/231263085/Product.aspx

Check reviews before commiting yourself.

Alan.

For £50 more you can get 3D functionality with the 42ST30 from JL - better filter, panel

made my mind up going for lcd 42" any ideas? also notice most ive looked at only seem to have 1 scart connection i would have to use adapter for multiple scarts

made my mind up going for lcd 42" any ideas? also notice most ive looked at only seem to have 1 scart connection i would have to use adapter for multiple scarts

Finally, if you have decided to go for 42" LCD, check out Full HD LG 42LK450.

Most sets only have one scart now Brickie, I suppose the manufacturers assume we will also upgrade other equipment to HDMI connections, blue ray, HD PVR ect.

Alan.

Not that many CCFL LCDs to choose from, they tend to be entry level and short on inputs and toys

Have a look at the panasonic 42U3B - Currys stock it for around £430 I think. 42" loses you the Samsung and Sony options

hi found 1 for £428 but no warranty will try and find 1 locally to have a look at anybody else with any ideas/ ta

I think the 5 year warranty from JL is well worth the extra Brickie, the Currys 3 year, (manufacturers + 2 years) warranty costs £169-00.

A chap posted on here recently, that he had a very good deal from JL with a replacement, when a set he bought in 2008 failed.

Alan.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom