1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Zeppelin - Legendary Performances

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Count.d, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Why is this not available in wide screen format? I only buy widescreen DVDs and I'm not sure whether to buy this one.

Come to think of it, why are most music DVDs in 4:3 ratio?

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Some of the recording on that disk are quite old - I think they got back to 1968. Perhaps they didn't film in widescreen in those days.

They have put alot of work into remastering the sound on this disk into DTS 5.1 and it does sound pretty amazing. They must have decided to put all their efforts into the sound remixing and decided that the picture was of secondary importance.

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Beacuase it wasn't filmed in widescreen. I think the 4 songs from the 'Song Remains The Same' set are letterboxed widescreen though.

If you don't buy this because it's not widescreen, then you can't like LZ much!

I've not played either of the compressed tracks; the PCM track sounds brilliant though.

They actually put a lot of effort into the picture as well - much of it was on old VT and they only had 1 chance at duplicating it. Some was lost forever and this is why stills are inserted in places on the real early stuff.

4. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    "If you don't buy this because it's not widescreen, then you can't like LZ much!"

Not true. Many DVDs come out later in widescreen. Another way to milk the market.

Look at Disney DVDs like Pinocchio. It was released as Special Edition recently, on 4:3. Amazing how you can buy Snow White (from 1930's) in widescreen!

5. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The OAR for both films you mention is 1.37/1 so a full-screen version is correct.
    The only way to produce a widescreen version would be to crop top/bottom of image.

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's true that many titles are originally released in 4:3 and then re-released in widescreen - but I seriously doubt if they will do this with the Led Zep disk.

The primary selling point of this disk is the remixed soundtrack - the footage is a bonus, but IMO it is a secondary consideration.

Anyway - I don't think that the footage always matches what your listening to on this disk- sometimes they have spliced together different bits of footage of the band on stage to accompany the music, but sometimes the footage decends into a montage of stills while the music continues. They must have had a full audio recording but not all the live footage to match it and decided that wouldn't stop them putting the music on the DVD.

If your a Zep fan then I'd say to get it now rather than wait for a re-release.

7. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Certainely rather than wait for a widescreen re-release :laugh:

8. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    "The OAR for both films you mention is 1.37/1 so a full-screen version is correct."

Pinocchio and Snow White wasn't widescreen in the cinema in the early days!

I'm showing my ignorance here, but I thought cinema was always a "widescreen" as opposed to 4:3 ratio.

9. Count.d

Count.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    much of the material (certainly for disk2) was filmed for screening at the concert itself & was in 4:3 format - not a great deal to be done, As far as I can tell the only WS source data is from the Song Remains The Same shoots.

11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, that link you posted explains all about Academy Ratio, but something it doesn't mention is why they originally used that ratio. I read some bumf on it and it reckoned that as cinema was born, there were no dedicated cinemas to show the films in - they used to be shown in theatres - with temporary screens suspended over the stage. The area that the screen filled up above the screen was 4:3. As cinema matured filmakers wanted a ratio which was closer to human eyesight so widescreen was born.

Not sure how much of the is myth and how much fact though !

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is true, plus also it was felt that cinema was under threat from the growth of the home television set so they thought going widescreen would give cinema an edge over TV...

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Theres an interesting story ((if like many here your an anorach) or is that all of us) about the history of widescreen on 'Foxes Demo Disc' I have.
    You can buy it on ebay i should imagine (not mine of course)!

S.