1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Zep remasters on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Mar 13, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    A I have a new vinyl spinner :clap: spent last night enjoying a few dusty old discs. Everything was fine until I got to this triple album, where the TT had really brought the other albums to life compared to by othe TT, this one was awful. No sound stage, no life, the older TT gave a similar presentation. What is up with this recording ? anyone else have it?

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Yup. This album was a rarity in that it struck me as the poor relative to the CD. (I have both formats!) I have the nasty feeling that the vinyl pressing was an afterthought in an era when vinyl was being kicked into touch by the record companies. Wonder if it's been done on 180 gram vinyl.................

Karkus, the Origin live tonearm was recommended to me for the Xerses by a guy trying to sell off his RB300 (that it replaced) recently. I wasn't after the RB300 but the cartridge with it. Didn't get that either - price got silly!!! :D He raved about it's effect on stuff he hadn't played for years.............

3. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Is this the recent live release ? "How The West Was Won" ?

[EDIT]
    Re-reading the post properly, I now realise you meant the Remasters set....

4. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    ...so, isn't this just a case that the sound has been remastered for the CD pressing and then lobbed on to vinyl as an after thought ? So, the CD sounds great but the sound balance isn't quite right for vinyl...

....in much the same way that original vinyl recordings were just reproduced onto CD, with no tinkering, and suffered as a result [ref the Rolling Stones back catalogue - terrible sound on the original CDs]. It was always explained to me that vinyl has a more "treble-y" sound compared to CD so the mastering process takes that into account...if you put the same mastered recording on to CD, it sounds bassier/duller because you're compensating for the now missing treble....

(...I suspect I'm talking nonsense, there. Someone sort me out...)

Anyway, putting a remastered recording on vinyl sounds like a total anachronism to me. It's admitting that the original recording process was flawed (for these pre CD releases anyway). The only case I can think of is the Stooges' Raw Power which was revisited a couple of years ago as Iggy was never happy with the sound.

5. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not always - the recent limited vinyl release of the 30th Anniversary remaster of Floyds DSOTM was miles better than the original vinyl in terms of sound quality. At the time, the original vinyl was considered demo material.

Ratso:)

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    ???? If anything it's the other way around............ CD has long suffered from being overly harsh and to be honest, unrealistic in the treble extremes. Vinyl, pre 80's suffered from poor bass reproduction, not treble. Again, by that, i mean poor bass control not lack of it. The new generation of analogue has long since cured that problem.

The orginal Stones, Zep and many other bands CD's sounded so poor because the record companies in their greed, rushed them to the market using poor quality 2nd gen masters, not the orginals. The zep CD's were done so badly, if you listen to Led Zep IV you can hear that the CD is out of phase!!! Listen to a quality vinyl copy of IV, and you'll notice that the effects are on different channels on the CD re-hash!! Yow!!!

As for the anachronism bit, how so? If the orginal recordings were rushed out it doesn't matter how good the software is, it'll sound naff. So re-mastering, if the pressing is done properly, is worth getting on any format.

7. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Right, gotcha. I always assumed the trebly sound with CDs (especially 10-15 years ago) was down to the vinyl masters (and a trebly compensation) being used for the CD versions.

Not heard the Zep CDs but I know that I nearly took one of the Stones' CDs back when I bought it because it sounded so awful.

Yeah, I know, but there's still that element of, I don't know, updating history, if you like. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to listen to the better version but I don't think you should lose sight of the original document, as it were.

Someone, one day, will probably remaster The Fall back catalogue and it'll sound great, but it just won't be the same.

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Gotcha too! Bit like re-mastering the pistols "never mind the B"!?*&ks". Just wouldn't be the same............... :D

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You should check-out the LZ remasters by 'Classic Records'. I have all of them except for SRTS and Coda and they blow away the original vinyy IMO.
    Not cheap at £26 a pop but I don't care - It's Led Zep!
    When I saw the thread title, I thought these were what you were referring to.