Led V's plasma

cahal74

Standard Member
Hi
Looking at a sharp 40le600 Led, an Lg 42Lh5000, (which got a what hi-fi best buy) And a samsung PS42b451, video quality most important to me as using amp which should i go for ? Thanks

First of all dont believe anything you read in what comic - i mean what hifi...

Spend some time reading the threads on this part of the forum and see what most people recommend....

I dont have a high opinion of LG screens especially their plasmas as they suffer from image retention (IR) and the build quality is poor...

As a starting point read about the current range of Panasonic plasmas ...a 50X10 can be had for just over 600quid...

toodeep

Surely no LCD TV, whether LED backlit or otherwise, can match the motion resolution of a plasma planel.

badkarma

Having buggered about with a 6 series Samsung LED LCD last week I can honestly say it was rank vs any decent plasma even with 1080p BD. I was shocked at how poor it was.

RichWalk

The power of mass marketing vs making an informed decsion ones self, a mirror of many aspects of todays existance!

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
what comic - i mean what hifi... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Having buggered about with a 6 series Samsung LED LCD last week I can honestly say it was rank vs any decent plasma even with 1080p BD. I was shocked at how poor it was.

You cant say things like that... People who have spend loads on LCDs will be saying your telling porkies!

Phill1978

i think i will defend LCD

ive seen a top end philips LCD look imense.. ok colour could be a bit more acurate and blacks were not top notch but other than that it destroyed CRT TV i think people forget where we are with this technology, i have a sony crt and 32" panasonic LCD and the crt is inferior by far.

now i know plasma is better than LCD but there used as monitors and are pretty impressive in that regard.

the tv`s are a lot worse than the monitors though

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
i think i will defend LCD

ive seen a top end philips LCD look imense.. ok colour could be a bit more acurate and blacks were not top notch but other than that it destroyed CRT TV i think
:confused: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

C227

Standard Member
I really wanted an LCD. I even convinced myself it was better and bought one.

I totally hated it.

I gave it back and then decided to go LED but they are also no better with motion handling and everything looks like a cheap soap opera.

Try watching the latest underworld on even the best LED and you'll miss a whole load of stuff through the dark scenes in the woods. And it will look like a cheap budget movie with the lighting effects LED/LCD tv's introduce.

Then bought a Plasma and have never looked back.

I am so glad I lived with an LCD first to understand how bad they actually are.

The power of marketing is amazing with everyone thinking LCD/LED is the latest thing and a must have.

badkarma

You cant say things like that... People who have spend loads on LCDs will be saying your telling porkies!

Trying to explain that an LED was actually still an LCD was a laugh also :D

Gave up.

The LED in question was over a grand. I can't help but think an X10/G10/V10 would have wee wee'd all over it.

A Kuro would have scraped it off the buttom of it's shoe :cool:

zofinger

I had a Panny plasma for 5 years and was v.close to buying a Samsung LED LCD 7 series recently because I saw the amazing image it can produce. Infact I had totally set my mind on it and not considered anything else. :facepalm:

But I changed my mind based on nothing except knowing my existing non-HD 37" Panny P did me proud.:) (even though it was £2k in 2005!). The 'if it aint broke - dont try and fix it' mentality.

I'm SO glad i changed my mind and stayed with Plasma (bought a 42V10 yesterday).;)

xiodene

Standard Member
I have always had LCD tv's and was very skeptical about all the talk of Plasmas being better. But over the last few days i started looking at the Panny G10's.

SO today i took a trip down the curry's (obviously not to buy one lol) and at the back they had the 42inch plasma g10 next to another pansonic LCD TV........... to say i was shocked would be an understatement! Compared tot he plasma the LCD looked like it was being shot in mist! the color was sooooo washed out compared to the plasma.

The LCD was certainly sharper but it was almost to sharp so it looked fuzzy!
I really cant wait to pick up my 50inch G10 from richersounds! Last one in the shop as well :D

Vicarious_Eyes

"I want a new TV. But which one? I know, I'll go on AV Forums and ask the plasma owner's forum if they think LCD or plasma is the best!"

:nono::nono:

;) :D

S Bibby

Hi,
I think the main issue with LED models is always going to be the Dynamic Contrast and low APL dimming. If you don't notice it that much OK, but otherwise you might want to look at other options. There is an argument that the local dimming LED backlights (not edge mount) are more pleasing in this respect. On the other hand you are not getting much in the way of design innovation and the price is relatively high. So, in other words, each to his own.

At the end of the day if someone belives that the best picture is the brightest picture then they will be happy with an LED/LCD

However people who know what makes a better picture will always end up with a plasma...its a fact

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
LED/LCD will always look better than plasma until you switch them on,the best thing about those new samsung leds is that kingfisher sticker,fantastic.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
At the end of the day if someone belives that the best picture is the brightest picture then they will be happy with an LED/LCD

However people who know what makes a better picture will always end up with a plasma...its a fact

Its not just a better picture, its the motion handling and upscaling that makes plasmas top for me(Apart from sammys and LGs).

I was going to go V10 this year, but I may wait and get the new panny / kuro hibred thats coming out this year.

It really doesn't matter what clothes you dress them up in, or what ludicrous specs you put on the box or what "new tech" name you give them they aint and possibly NEVER will match the fluid motion and natural colours of a Plasma ...

but and this is a big but(t) lol we are judging this debate on LED v Plasma on the understanding that every single one of us is measuring these two technologies against what we grew up with, ie our old CRT - so who knows in 5 or 6 years time the result could be different as people will have grown up watching LCD and not CRT.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom