LED vs OLED

snadge

are these the same or what?

LED / OLED

ive said on another forum i want one of the new LED TV's and this guy has said you mean the new OLED TV's that are going to superceed the LED TV's

i said NO... they are the TV's , samsung have released them...

he saying that nowhere on samsung website does it mention OLED and SONY are the pioneers of OLED....

i didnt even mention OLED to start with... i said "I want one of the new LED tv's"..

am i correct in saying they are same technology?

S Bibby

No, they aren't the same. I believe they are quite different since LED is actually an LCD screen anyway, just with LED lighting either on the back or side rather than Fluorescent. I think LED has better energy efficiency and perhaps less luminance is transmitted. Samsung, Sony, Sharp and maybe a few others are producing LED-based screens. I'm not sure if it is really 'the future' but it might be interesting. LEDs have been used in monochrome type displays and indicators on things like aircraft, technical and mechanical equipment for some time.

OLED however is a new type of display with different attributes to LCD or Plasma. It is prohibitively expensive at the moment for most uses but is also as thin as paper when mounted. OLED apparently does not need any backlighting to function as a display. Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

Edit: I didn't realise this when I posted but there is actually an OLED forum here, might be worth checking up on that forum if you are really interested

Last edited:

AndyCob

NO they are not the same. Hopefully this explains somewhat (plus hope I'm getting this all correct)

LED TVs really are still just LCD TVs the only thing which has changed is the backlight which used to be based on flourescent lights and are now moving over to LEDs allowing thinner TVs with lower power consumption. As such LED TVs that just replace the white flourescent light with white LEDs do not offer any significant increase in picture quality. However those using more complex LED backlights that use a feature called 'localised dimming' essentially selectively lowering or tunrning off the backlight in areas of the screen can significantly increase black levels and contrast, even more so if the LED backlight uses a mix of red, green and blue (RGB LED) leds allowing the selective diming of each individual colour. The Sony x4500 series which use this system claim a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio as a result.

OLED screens use organic leds small enough to replace each individual pixel with an RGB led, as such there is no layer of liquid crystal and the screen is a pure LED system. This has the potential to massively increase picture quality, but is still very expensive and largely at the prototype stage. I think the one small non HD sony is the only retail model, and the largest manufacturer protype shown is a 40" Samsung I think. But the short version is it will probably be a good few years at least yet before we see a large HD consumer version and probably more years on that before they are affordable.

Essentially you could consider and LED backlight TV to become equivalent to an OLED when you reach the point where the backlight has an RGB LED for every pixel of the display, of course at that point you no longer need the LCD layer but current LEDs are to big to do this, (certain stadium displays actually work like this using a pixel that contains an RGB LED of course the pixel is an inch across so it's only good for really large size screens viewed at a distance).

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I am still wondering about how long OLEDs are lasting now, this has always been an issue.
[Addition] A 32" TV for over £4,000? I'll give it a miss!

Last edited:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
From various speak around the net OLED should be on the market in a big way around 2015, however, Panasonic (who are currently taking part in making a 37" OLED TV) are suggesting that we could see it sooner, and this is at more affordable prices. And any of you who have seen the Smartscreen OLED TV articles on the net will see where this technology is going (wireless power supply!). OLED requires a very small amount of power, it seems that LED LCD TVs will just be a stepping stone between the two technologies. The next 'plasma vs LCD' debate will no doubt be 'OLED vs Laser'...it's going to be interesting!

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom