LED TV & Sky

jimmy5jumpers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am really tempted to get an LED TV, so I went to look at some today. However, the guy in the shop told me I need a Sky HD box, as there are no connections for the standard Sky+ box on LED TV's. Is this correct??
Sorry to sound a bit thick, but I dont know anything about connecting equipment to TV's.
I also want to connect a nintendo wii, an xbox 360, a dvd player and possibly a V-Tech motion active learning system - are LED TV's suitable for this?
Many thanks

You don't mention which brand & model (Samsung?). Presumably for ordinary Sky you just need a Scart socket and I believe they are still common on a lot of LCD TV's.
My own LCD TV's each have two.

Sorry - Samsung UE46B6000
Thanks for the quick reply

TBH I haven't got one of them, but someone here might and reply to your question.

Failing that, if you go back to the shop ask (or look) to see if it has any Scart sockets on the back of it.

Its possible that some models for "slimness" have ceased to have Scart sockets.

Thank you for your replies. Looks like I am going for the Samsung UE46B6000!!
Shows how much the guy at Currys know!!

Yes you will find that salesmen often talk out of their arse

Did they have an offer on Sky HD by any chance?

To get the benifit of Full HD you will obviously need a HD source input eg Sky HD Freesat HD Virgin V+ or Bluray player

The tele does have a RF input for terrestial TV so you can at the very least loop all your inputs through that. However some TVs aren't the best at handling SD (standard Definition) which is partly due to the size of the screen. SD isnt really meant for a 50" screen.

I have a Sony and it copes quite well and the SD freeview is pretty good to be honest. Sky + is looped through RF as we have the box in bedroom and PQ is good too but not as good as the freeview. For me and probably most of you make a slow transition with technology. I have a BP and next on the shopping list will be Freesat HD and a Home Cinema Receiver.

Before you jump into the LED Samsung check out the owners forumn and make sure people are happy with the SD perfomance. If not you may need deep pockets. I think it will be ok with SD but you have to remember it wont be HD....

There is a bit of truth in what he says. The LED models do not have a scart socket on the set itself. It has an adaptor in the box that is connected into a proprietary socket onto the back of the set.

It is the same for both composite and component. Both need an included adaptor.

My girlfriend has the same tv, currys tried to push sky hd onto her too, we said no no.

Scart is connected into supplied adaptor no probs, and pq is bl00dy great IMO, definately not worth the extra cash (as have seensky hd in friends place).

You should have no probs :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your advice & opinions, they were very helpful:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom