Question LED Top Clearance

DaveWillo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm looking for a TV to be wall-mounted in my garage conversion. The back wall is an odd shape, as the staircase takes up part of it and the available area for a TV is 850mm high.
I've been checking out some 65" models and most of them are around 850mm high, so they would have next to no space between the top of the set and the ceiling. I was wondering if this was wise, im not sure how hot LED sets get, as my main TV is an OLED.
Or would I be best getting something like the LG 60UM 7100, which is still plenty bug, but will have some breathing space above it.
Quality doesn't have to be brilliant, as the main occupant of this room is the dog! Main TV source will be it's own Virgin V6 box.
Thanks.
15898884730093263243022779344276.jpg

Out of all the LCD models that you see in my signature, only the 1080p Sony KDL-75W855C that is currently on a year's sabbatical in the hall having done a year in the kitchen, specifies clearances. Bad news, I'm afraid. That older Sony specifies at least 10cm below and to the right and left of the television. It also specifies at least 6cm behind the television. But it says I should have 30cm between the top of the television and the ceiling. In fact I have only 20cm between the top of the Samsung and the false ceiling in the kitchen, but so far (in four years' use of having a 75-inch television in the kitchen) that hasn't been a problem, but I certainly wouldn't want less clearance than that.

I was an absolute bag of nerves fitting it, but it's up and a perfect fit. Plus it's not warm along the top of the set. Result! Will need to sort some cable management though.
20200525_150205.jpg

BTW I went for the LG 60 UM7100, from Argos, reduced from £500 to £430 - bargain.

So that is a 60", not a 65"?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom