LED tape lights stopped working..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sonicsnail, Sep 9, 2012.

1. sonicsnail

sonicsnail
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

In our recent kitchen renovation, we had a 5m RGB 5050 strip installed. It was a first for the electrician who did cut it into 3 and joined the three strips in under 3 units.

However, one of the three has stopped working. Doesn't light up at all. The other 2 sections are working OK.

The sparky soldered all the connections.

So, onto troubleshooting..

Are these strips VERY unlikely to fail, thus I should be looking at the soldering? Or is a failed strip fairly likely so I should make replacing that strip my first port of call?

Thanks,

Pete

2. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    If the strip doesn't display any colours at all then it is almost certainly a bad connection on the V+ line. Usually, the V+ wire is either black or white. You could also try connecting a wire between V+ at one end of the strip and V+ at the other end. LED strips can be fed from either end or both ends to reduce dimming at the non-connected end. This is called dual feeding - a bit like your ring mains.

3. sonicsnail

sonicsnail
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I opened up the soldered and taped end of the broken strip and alas flicker flicker they went. Tidy connection reestablished and lights now working again!

Thanks..

Pete