LED Strip - TV USB Not Powerful Enough?

robloxian

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new LG TV. My last one was smaller and a 2m LED strip worked fine powered via the TV's USB port.

My bigger LG is having issues providing power to the led strip. It just flashes. When plugged into a power outlet, the strip is fine.

Why would the USB ports be less powerful? Or could it be due to a longer strip?

Is it worth trying a different brand of strip?

Thanks

Your typical USB port on a TV can supply a max of 500mA and USB ports designed for connecting a HDD to can supply just under 1A (900mA).
So check if the USB port you’re using on your TV has “HDD” marked next to it or check your user manual.
The info that came with your LED strips may mention their current consumption.

Your typical USB port on a TV can supply a max of 500mA and USB ports designed for connecting a HDD to can supply just under 1A (900mA).
So check if the USB port you’re using on your TV has “HDD” marked next to it or check your user manual.
The info that came with your LED strips may mention their current consumption.

Yeah they need 5v. I thought like my previous LG, it works provide enough power.

All I can think is either this strip requires more power than my last strip due to being longer, or the USB ports on this TV aren't powerful enough.

Wasn't sure if it was worth trying a different set?

All USB sockets should supply 5v - it's the current that differs and different strips will have different requirements.

I would follow JayCee's suggestions above.

If there's an owner's thread in the LG TVs forum, then you could also ask there ?

I've tried both ports and have the same issue with each one. The strip works fine via a mains socket.

Yes, a longer strip will require more current.
What's the model no of your TV?
In the info that came with your LED strips does it give the power requirements?

Yes, a longer strip will require more current.
What's the model no of your TV?
In the info that came with your LED strips does it give the power requirements?

I have an lg 49un73006

The strip requires USB DC 5V

I plugged them into a small tv in my son's room and they work fine, so I'm confused.

I cut 0.5m off the strip and it works. Looks like it was overpowering it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom