Question LED Strip Lights in Kitchen

shep1984

Novice Member
Evening All

I am looking for some help.

I am in the middle of renovating my kitchen, and want to install LED Strip lights underneath the cabinets and pelmet. I want the lights controlled via at the light switch.

I have been doing some reading, but am getting myself confused. Can anyone confirm if the below setup would work.

1. Run a power cable from Light switch, to a AD/DC 12v Transformer / Driver.
2. Cut light strips to length, and run speaker wire or similar from the driver to the led strips. There would probably be 3 or 4 different strips in total, totalling around 8-10m worth of lights.

The intention then being, when the relevant switch is flipped on the wall that the LED lights come on.

The items that i was looking to use were something along the lines of the below:

LED Strip Lights

JnDeeTM Cool White 5M (16.4ft) 300 LED Strip Light Flexiable TAPE RIBBON/ 5 Metres with 300 SMD LEDs DC 12V-- IDEAL FOR KITCHENS, HOME LED LIGHTING, BARS, RESTAURANTS: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

Power Driver / Transformer.

Waterproof IP67LED Driver Power Supply Transformer 240V DC 12V for LED Strip UK | eBay

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Cheers

Alex.

Chester

Ideal for kitchens? There's no IP rating for starters!

Install multiple drivers for separate areas and run 1.5mm twin+earth to the areas LED drivers will be installed. DC voltages drop sharply over distance and you'll end up with problems with brilliance uniformity if you don't. Also check out the power per metre rating so you can correctly calculate the driver capacity; it's pointless having a 50w driver for 2m of 10w/m when you could get a 25w one for much less, just as an example.

Consider an LED compatible dimmer, and dimmable LEDs and driver. High quality LED tape is exceedingly bright. Being able to control the brilliance gives you options to create a nice ambient light for evenings/night time/entertaining, or bright for working.

Match the colour temperature with your other lights. 4000K cool white is great for most kitchens, but IMO mixing colour temperatures looks tacky,unprofessional and inconsistent. Coherence here looks fabulous. You can have fun with RGBW lighting of course, but that gets much more expensive, more complex, and you need to consider the control surfaces.

Hope this is useful.

shep1984

Novice Member
Thanks for the response. A few good points worth considering

Glad to hear that in theory my intention is going to work - just need to make sure I buy the right kit.

Chester

Sure, LED tape with a good IP rating (IP65 excellent but not essential, but do consider things like kettles producing steam, etc) is fantastic stuff for this application. You don't get 'hot spots' but a nice even light across surfaces, fantastic lux levels (that's about reflected light which diminishes over distance) and it's great in the fight against shadows. It got my vote for my kitchen install and now with 15 months of hindsight, I'd do the same all over again!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom