LED strip lights controllable from iRule, roomie etc?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ab1385, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out what is possible.

I'm planning a home cinema in an extension, to build next year. I'm still very much in the planning stage of this, but so far I have got to the overall design 5.3 x 3.7m room, projector screen along the front, 7.2 sound and every other bit of kit in a node 0 under the stairs. I really want to control everything by IP control, I gather that's the way forward, especially as I will be using this as a distribution for Sky, blu ray etc to the sitting room, bedroom and kitchen as well as the home cinema.

What I'm looking at now is the lighting. I was (maybe still am) going to go with a Lutron GrafikEye, but the architect got me thinking by talking about using some LED lighting as well as spots. I'd probably run some LED strips on a flase ceiling with a space around the edge to allow light through.

I don't really know anything about LED lighting. I have a few philips colour changing lamps which have RF remote controls, and I like the idea of having various colour options from one light source. I gather I need an RGB LED strip (or a few) and a controller and power source, but this is as far as I have got.

Do RGB LED strips vary a lot by cost/supplier etc? What about controllers?

And what I really want to know is whether there are any systems which can be integrated into an android or iPad IP control app - either directly or via RS232 via Itach units etc. I don't mind it being a bit complicated to set up initially, but I'm trying to set it up only if it's cheap(ish), completely reliable, and easy to control via a remote control app.

Can this be done? If it can be, I don't suppose anyone could point me in the direction of what I would need to make it work, with perhaps an example product?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

EDIT: Having just typed all that, it may be easier just to get 2 or 3 LED rope lights of the colours I want and plug these into the Lutron GrafikEye directly (via transformer). The only reason I would want to have the other options would be if they could dim in and out, and fade between colours. Is this generally possible or not? Can LED rope lights be bought which can dim simply by varying the output from e.g a Lutron controller?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. spanners

spanners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks Derek.

The thing is I wanted something which can be controlled via an all in one remote control app via either RS232 or IP control.

I think now the easiest way I can see is to use a Lutron GrafikEye QS to control the lighting and blackout curtains. It can be controlled either with a quite expensive ethernet/RS232 interface or, probably more easily, via an IR cable interface on the back of the unit which I think can be plugged directly into the GlobalCache GC100 to be controlled by iPhone. I think it is not too difficult to then connect a 240v to 12v variable dimmable transformer and have dimmable LED strips.

This will be much cheaper than buying any LED strips with ethernet or RS232 interfaces (I think) and I will have the reassurance of knowing that Lutron stuff works with iRule etc. The only downside is that I can only really have one or two colours. I suppose I could buy one red, one green, and one blue strip and then have each off a different channel of a GrafikEye - it may be possible to get full lighting colour control that way. Would that work??

Alex

4. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The ir itach can be used as a led lighting driver, never done it, but it is mentioned in the api.

Dupe...