LED Strip lighting - How quick to power on?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Pgrantuk, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Pgrantuk

Pgrantuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This may seem like an odd question, but can anyone with some LED strip/tape lighting tell me if it lights up as soon as you turn it on? I'm planning on using lightwaverf for the LED strip and a magnectic door switch to power them on when the door is opened. I currently have a couple of the Phillips Living Colors LED lamps, but these take approx 3 secs from turning on the power to lighting up. So just wondering if this delay is down to how LED lights work or if it's just down to the Phillips Lamps?

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    LED strip is instantaneous.
    It is probably the electronics inside the Philips lamp that produces the slow ramp-up.

3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,713
    It depends on your power supply. Switched mode supplies can take a second or so to stabilise and output voltage, while older transformer based supplies take far less time.

If you leave the supply running and use the magnetic switch on the low voltage side (much safer anyway) then the LEDs will come on instantly.

FYI, LEDs can switch on and off thousands of times a second. That's how infra red remote controls work.

4. Quaddy

Quaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    my philips living colour doesnt take 3 seconds, more like 1-1.5s - and all my other led backlighting is near enough instant, a second or so if that

5. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Stabilisation time may be a second or so but rise time to 95% of final voltage will be much less so the LED's will switch on pretty much instantly.

Mag switches are usually only rated at 12V - certainly not 240V.

Most modern RGB LED controllers use PWM to control brightness whereby the voltage supplied is always 12V but the ON duration and OFF duration are adjusted. The PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controllers usually run at around 100 Hz (i.e. LED strip switched on and off 100 times per second) though I have seen one that sing (literally) at 2KHz!

These PWM controllers can dim 'non-dimmable' LED MR16 lamps because the lamps either see 12V or nothing.

6. thecloneman

thecloneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    dont forget if using magnetic alarm contacts,you use a relay and the contacts only switch the relay coil so no load on the contacts.
    supply feeds the input contacts,output contacts feed the lights,magnetic switches work the coil contacts.
    easy but safe,we dont want a fire!!