Led strip lighting for hallway - rgbw?

n10enthusiast

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I hope you can give some advice. My requirements is to replace the current very bright white Teucer led strip lights in my hallway, with very warm amber led strip lights. The hallway is about 7m in total length but is split into two sections of about 3.5m each, and currently connected with two Teucer dimmable led 60w drivers. These are both connected to a recessed PIR sensor in the ceiling, so that when I walk in the hallway, they come on but it is too bright.

I am therefore thinking to buy RGBW led strip lights, so that I can make the colour very low and a warm amber light.

I have looked at the hiline-lighting.co.uk website and am thinking of the following but will this work, or is there a better setup? Anything else I would need to buy?

2x RGBW LED Strip (RGB+WW) 5m roll | 7.2W/m | 24V | IP00 | quad LED chip
1x RGB + Tunable White 4 Zone | Combi ZigBee Remote Control
2x ZigBee RGB+Tunable White LED strip Controller 5 channels (4 in 1)
2x LED Driver | 24V | 30W | IP67 | Constant Voltage | EC Series

Thanks for any advice.

If your current power supply is dimmable then wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to try a dimmer switch on the current setup first?

If your current power supply is dimmable then wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to try a dimmer switch on the current setup first?
That's the first thing I tried but the dimmer and the pir sensor are fighting each other! So sometimes it takes a while to come on. And even when dimmed, it is still too bright, so I've decided to replace with one that is much warmer/amber. But thank you for the suggestion.

Also you wouldnt necessarily need two drivers just one suitably power rated one
That's a good point. Thank you for suggesting. The reason why I thought maybe two is because that's how the previous owner of the property had wired them up. Two drivers. One for each 3.5m of strip light.

That's a good point. Thank you for suggesting. The reason why I thought maybe two is because that's how the previous owner of the property had wired them up. Two drivers. One for each 3.5m of strip light.
No need for that in the new setup unless distances are an issue

@Seb Briggs and @EndlessWaves , thank you for your advice so far. I progressed and purchased the following items and will be fitting it next week. But I have one further question that was mentioned to me by an electrician, which I hope that you can help with.

I had planned to connect the following to an existing ceiling PIR motion sensor, so that the rgb strip light comes on when walking in the hallway. However, the electrician says that it may not work, as I may need to connect it to a 24v PIR sensor instead, like this one from Danlers: Danlers Ceiling Flush Mounted PIR Occupancy Switch 2M Lead 24VDC

What do you think? Will it work with my existing 230v PIR sensor, or would I need to buy a 24v PIR sensor? I have this one currently installed in the ceiling: GEFL | Ceiling Mounted PIR Presence Detectors

RGBW LED Strip (RGB+WW) 5m roll | 7.2W/m | 24V | IP00 | quad LED chip
RGB + Tunable White 4 Zone | Combi ZigBee Remote Control
ZigBee RGB+Tunable White LED strip Controller 5 channels (4 in 1)
LED Driver | 24V | 30W | IP67 | Constant Voltage | EC Series

If you are happy to have a fixed colour temperature LED strip why not either use a dimmable controller that can use a switch input to trigger from the PIR, such as the Shelly Dimmer2 (assuming you can use the 230v switching via your existing PIR), or use a Shelly Motion for the PIR trigger (works wirelessly), or wire the PIR to a Shelly i4 module (so the trigger is sent wirelessly to the Shelly Dimmer) etc. Here you need the LED driver to be trailing-edge dimmable on the AC input.

If you want RGBW control then there is the Shelly RGBW2 controller too. This also has a 230v switch input you could use, or remotely trigger from elsewhere. Here the LED driver feeds the Shelly controller directly, and the dimmable output to the LEDs comes from the Shelly module itself.

This gives you a system that can be controlled potentially from regular switches and PIRs, with the lighting output being different from each switch type if you want to go that far.

If you are happy to have a fixed colour temperature LED strip why not either use a dimmable controller that can use a switch input to trigger from the PIR, such as the Shelly Dimmer2 (assuming you can use the 230v switching via your existing PIR), or use a Shelly Motion for the PIR trigger (works wirelessly), or wire the PIR to a Shelly i4 module (so the trigger is sent wirelessly to the Shelly Dimmer) etc. Here you need the LED driver to be trailing-edge dimmable on the AC input.

If you want RGBW control then there is the Shelly RGBW2 controller too. This also has a 230v switch input you could use, or remotely trigger from elsewhere. Here the LED driver feeds the Shelly controller directly, and the dimmable output to the LEDs comes from the Shelly module itself.

This gives you a system that can be controlled potentially from regular switches and PIRs, with the lighting output being different from each switch type if you want to go that far.
Looks like they went with a Zigbee controller for the circuit. I forgot to advise that they should have looked at Shelly (not like me at all!!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom