1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Shelf Lighting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by helpneeded, Jul 22, 2005.

1. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks, could do with your help.

I've purchased a 5 tier glass-shelf bookcase. I now want to purchase some blue LED lights which I can mount to the rear edge of each glass shelf, so the light shines through the shelf, making it glow.

I've seen the same principle in Woolworths, in the Electronics section, and also in the Discovery Store (similar to the Gadget Store), before they closed down.

I know I could 'build' something myself, but I would like to purchase something as I know it would look neater and more tidy (providing the price is right).

The one thing someone has suggested is cold cathode tubes, use in computer modding - this is not quite what I'm looking for.

A good example of what I want can be found at:-

http://www.tridonicatco.com/kms/cms/kms.php?id=178&str_id=556&det_back=1

- but I can't find where to purchase these from (plus its not a website from the UK, and I would prefer to deal with British companies).

Can anyone suggest places to buy the above from (web addresses would be appreciated), and also, if anyone knows of the actual name of the 'gadget' I'm looking for!

Thank you in advance!!! :smashin:

2. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Try these people

LightGraphix

But be aware, that the glass has to contain certain properties or it wont be very effective. (Think it has something to do with it containing iron?)

3. NigeUK

NigeUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Frederific

Frederific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're anywhere near an IKEA, their Tretionnen product would probably work. Available in white, blue and green.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,235
    another heads up for the Ikea lights, i have them and i think they could easily do what you want them to do

6. plubraich

plubraich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Another vote for ikea... I have some... they work really well... mount them inside black document clips to stop and clip them onto the back of the glass, to stop the stray light bouncing all over the walls etc...

7. MDN

MDN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try this link work very well, should have several options http:// www.litewave.co.uk the image on their home page of cinema was one of my projects