LED RGB Light Strips - Please educate me - Individually Addressable?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little lighting project popped into my mind today.

Just starting to look at RGB LED light strips (I need 7m, which I guess means a 10m kit)
From memory, when I looked at these things a while ago, I recall something about many having limitations (some more limited than others) when it came down to what lights could come on and off separate from others.
Or to put it bluntly, the cheap? ones could only do so many effects/patterns as they were connected in banks. or the driving chips were.

I recall something about "Individually Addressable" versions where, I think the controller (or phone app I guess) had total control over everything, and it could do any wild crazy? patterns/routines you could think of.

As I say I'm running from memory some time ago, and have no idea of what's out there other than reading reviews.

Is anyone here into these things, knows what I'm talking about, and could give some quick education on the above?

Many thanks if you can :)

if you look at his other videos too in case this one isnt exactly what your looking for

Just to add.
I would be hoping such a strip would work with some ready made app which did all the magical effects as opposed to programming light patterns myself.

I love it when a video starts with "How to control with a BSM99.186 ISO Inverted Rad44 TP with a TSP99.5628 and a OMG99/WTF1"

I shall continue to watch though as I have a few long projects to add sooooooooooooooon.

^ All this stuff looks amazing.

Right now it seems no one actually makes a reasonable price all ready to go with an App/Smart Speaker version of these individually addressable LED strips.

Found one set that looks really good, with an App and all that.
But it's limited to a different colour change about every 3/4 of a meter, as opposed to every LED.

That's not bad, and I could live with that.
Just a shame it seems it's either that, or needing to get all techy with something yourself.

I put addressable LEDs (ws8201 I think) in my living room build using wemos D1s flashed with Tasmota. Took a bit of reading but not particularly complicated.

I have been using DreamColour, 5050, 133 effect, colour chasing, IP67 waterproof, 5m light strips for a while now when camping, attach to flagpole but have seen better and am trying to find out what they are. I think they were probably these ones you have to programme yourself, as mentioned above(sounds like too much hassle for me). Also there is the option of ones which have sound to light built in but look out for the ones that only work with your phone app(these sound rubbish) rather than what they hear in the surrounding environment. Alexa option also available but wi-fi setup can be tricky, some good amazon reviews which explain the way to do it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom