LED Projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HeavenlyWarrior, Jan 4, 2012.

1. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    General question, I'm thinking of lamp hour costs and the degrading effect over time it has on the image with lamp based home theatre projectors. I use mine for movies, games and sports.
    Does anyone have any experience with LED projectors? What are they like comparable to LED and DLP? Are they suitable for my purposes?

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    They are still very early generation, with limited lumens output. Colour balance is also an issue, at least with the Casio based units.

I would wait for a few generations until the technology is a bit more mature.

Lamps are good for at least 500 hours, hopefully a lot more, so at £350 a lamp (A rough average) its less than £1 per hour to run them.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    There have been several posts on this if you do a search, but current state of the technology is that it's still much cheaper to go for a normal lamp and change it as required.

Don't forget that even if you watch one movie every evening, say 2 hours, that's still only around 750 hours per year, so you'll only be changing the lamp every couple of years.

I suspect most people don't get to their third lamp before up-grading!