LED, Plasma or wait for 4K?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Fish80, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Fish80

Fish80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, there.

I have just come into a bit of money and decided that I wanted to treat myself to a new TV. At the moment I have a 50" LG Plasma which is perfectly good. Nothing wrong with it. I have no real quibbles. Reflection is about the only one. The main reason is just that I fancy a bigger TV.

So, I am trying to decide between the Panasonic ZT60, VT65, Samsung 4k LED 9000 and any other 60/65" LED. What are your expert opinions please?

For me the VT65 is leading at the moment. Here's why:

I checked them out in a Demo Room at my local Panasonic store and the picture quality was great. No real difference between the two that I could see. My friend said he could see a difference in the Blacks, the ZT being better. I preferred the extra size of the VT. We tested The Dark Knight Rises for Blacks and Star Trek Into Darkness for Colours and motion. When watching on the Plasmas I found that I preferred the Dynamic setting as the colours seemed brighter, more crisp and rich and stood out more. Even the Blacks seemed "more Black" and stood out as opposed to it just being black and not being able to see what was going on as seems to happen at the cinema for me sometimes. The friend I was with disagreed but it's gonna be my TV after all!! :) However, I was told that I couldn't run the plasma on that setting all the time due to image burn.

I checked out the WT600 LED 4k in the Plasma store and *we* thought it looked stunning. I got them to hook up a Blu-Ray and tested Star Trek. The colours were amazing and just jumped off the screen and the motion was, surprisingly, better than either of the Plasmas. At £5k though, it's just too expensive.

So, I then went to test the Samsung 9000 65" 4k TV in Currys. On display it looked phenomenal. The detail and colours were amazing. There was no reflection from the screen at all. (The Sony 4k next to it was awful for this.) I got them to hook up a Blu-Ray (BDP-S790) and started with The Dark Knight Rises. I jumped to the scene where Batman and Bane fight for the first time to test the Blacks. Just before, you see Batman standing at the top of a really tall building and the camera does a slow pan across the city and during this, at times, there was a blurry/smudgy/pixelated "shadow" around Batman about a cm wide. It was TERRIBLE!! It carried on in certain places when Catwoman is leading Batman to Bane. I didn't bother to test Star Trek after that. I was surprised it was so poor because all the reviews I'd seen had given the Samsung 10/10. I couldn't understand how this would be missed. I checked out reviews for the WT600 and it's getting 6 or 7/10. I couldn't understand how that could be. It was SO much better than the Samsung from what I saw.

Could it be an issue with the way Currys had the TV set up? IPF setting too high or something like that? I'm going to go back and check again tomorrow. Just wanted to get your expert opinions on this.

It would seem that my personal preference lies with LED pictures. The just seem so much brighter and spectacular and jump off the TV, even when not in 3D, and just seems so much more impressive but motion is dealt better by the Plasma.

The TV would be going into a room that is quite dark. There's no direct sunlight onto the TV. It will be wall mounted and 13-14 feet away.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is becoming frustrating and possibly leading me to stick with what I have and just wait for 4K LED/OLED to catch up with the motion processing standards. BUT, I really want a bigger TV!!

Please help/advise!! :)

2. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    If you want a 65" , 4k OLED at under £5k , I think you have a pretty long wait.

Probably 3 years at least, maybe more.

I'm in much the same boat as you and can't decide what to do right now.

I downsized from a 65" to a 60" and have regretted it ever since, 65" min for me now.

Btw , if its any consolation. I thought the wt600 was better than the sammy as well, and by quite a margin.

I'm in limbo right now, my bet is the 65" 4k LED stuff will be 25-30% cheaper in 24 months or so, but ultimately I keep thinking its already old tech and should hang on for the larger OLED , in In fact I think I would take a flat 65" OLED 1080p over a 4k LED having seen an OLED in action.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014