LED or OLED

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the bottom of the range B6 LG OLEDs approaching the price point of the top of the range Panasonic(DX902) and Samsung(KS9500) LEDs can one say one represents a better option over the other? As yet i have not drawn a comparison as I have not had the time available to do so.The nearest JL and Richer sounds stores are a good 15 miles away from me,(the other set i was initially interested in, Loewe, would involve a 50 mile round journey) so at the moment i am looking for feedback .I wont be making a purchase for a good year at least but for now I would like a good idea of what I could get for £2-2.3K and the relative merits .55" would be the maximum size

Looked at an LG OLED in Currys yesterday that had screen burn on which has put me off OLED. 2015 model so you'd think they would have sorted on these newer models but you could see an Android logo clear as day burnt into the middle of the screen. Guy there said not viable for warranty either!

Looked at an LG OLED in Currys yesterday that had screen burn on which has put me off OLED. 2015 model so you'd think they would have sorted on these newer models but you could see an Android logo clear as day burnt into the middle of the screen. Guy there said not viable for warranty either!
I am kind of thinking its much better to wait and see if LG finally manage to eliminate all the glitches ,get production costs down and improve longevity.If they dont make considerable progress on those front within then next two years I am going for an LED

That's the issue, the technology is so new you can't really know that the panel will last 5-10 years. At least Samsung, on their top models are giving a 10 year screen burn guarantee. I'm currently looking at the Samsung UE60KS7000

That's the issue, the technology is so new you can't really know that the panel will last 5-10 years. At least Samsung, on their top models are giving a 10 year screen burn guarantee. I'm currently looking at the Samsung UE60KS7000
putting aside the 5" difference in size is there any other reason you would choose that model over the 55 KS8000 or is the size the thing that would decide it for you? They are both the same price in JL.It's a question I would ask myself :)

Not sure how much better the KS8000 is compared to the KS7000? Doesn't seem that much difference. Have a 50" in lounge so want to go bigger in cinema room. 65" or 60"

Not much difference at all. Compare the US equivalents http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

KS7 here KS8 there
KS8 here KS9 there

The Samsung KS8000 is a better buy. It is almost as good as the KS9000 on all aspect, it just doesn't get as bright. The price difference is not worth it, so buy the cheaper KS8000.

It's also 60w speakers vs 40w but that's like comparing a polished turd to a turd anyway.
:laugh: the 7000 would appear to be the sensible option then, given the price difference as well as being the cheapest available premium uhd

I have drawn a shortlist of 55" LED tvs starting with the aforementioned 55KS7000 @ £1299 through the Sony 55XD9305 @ £1649 and ending with The Panasonic 58 DX902 .All 3 appear to be premium TVs .
I have also included 2 OLEDs ,the 55BC @£2299 and EF950V @£1599, the latter of which is not HDR but is a good £700 cheaper than its stable mate which raises the question of whether HDR is really worth it where OLEDs are concerned.

As yet I am not entirely convinced about the technology because of reservations raised regarding certain issues such as longevity , screen burn etc.Personally, I am of the opinion that at these price levels, TVs should last at least 10 years just as my current plasma is about to do fairly soon.It still gives a good accurate picture (albeit @720p) having been ISF calibrated .

There is,though, a period of about 4 hours during the afternoon and early evening when it's virtually unwatchable because of daylight( too much glass in the room)
Not only are the reflections annoying but the picture looks totally washed out ,so that is something I wish to avoid .Whilst I accept reflections will always be an issue I am thinking that a good backlight might well compensate to some degree

Mine will be opposite a window too and it appears that the KS7000 is the least reflective screen of the lot with its 'moth effect'

i forgot to add that both motion handling and upscaling are equally important and from comments i have read the Sony would appear to be the most adept

Been to JL and RS today and 60KS7000 looking favourite but now in Costco and they have the OLED55B6V at £2135.98 which is proving tempting after seeing it earlier too. Smaller than I wanted but do I go for quality over quantity? Speaking to chaps in both JL and RS they said their sets are on 12 hours a day and none show screen burn plus I'll only be using it a few hours a day so can't really see it being a massive issue and Costco's 5 year warranty is top drawer so might pick one up and take home to try. 90 day warranty so easy to take back no quibble.

Been to JL and RS today and 60KS7000 looking favourite but now in Costco and they have the OLED55B6V at £2135.98 which is proving tempting after seeing it earlier too. Smaller than I wanted but do I go for quality over quantity? Speaking to chaps in both JL and RS they said their sets are on 12 hours a day and none show screen burn plus I'll only be using it a few hours a day so can't really see it being a massive issue and Costco's 5 year warranty is top drawer so might pick one up and take home to try. 90 day warranty so easy to take back no quibble.
do they do buy now pay later?

Don't think so, no credit cards either. Will give it a go I think. Blacks looked amazing in JL earlier. Costco only have rubbish feed on it here at the moment.

there is another LED which might be of interest 55uh9500.I added that one because I understand it has both HDR and Dolby vision

Me
Debit card or cash
Yes, Debit card or cash only. Just got it home, will set it up later and report. Looking round the stores I did keep getting dragged back to OLED. The inky blacks and bright colours just have that wow factor over even the best LED's and that was in a shop lighting environment too.

Rigged up and quick tinker but will play more later but stunning picture, black is pure black. Film flicked to a whole black screen and looked like it was switched off almost. Will report again later.

LGs LCDs aren't up to scratch with the competition mainly due to bad screen brightness, poor contrast and blacks because of using IPS panels and have poor local dimming.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the screen burn in on OLED, if you do see some it disappears fast. Chances are you will have to display still pictures for a few hours to even notice it to begin with.

I think anyone would be happy with a KS7000 but an OLED like the B6 or C6 will blow you away. If you don't care for HDR even one of last year's OLEDs will be great too.

yes, its just that I read a poster's comment about returning an Oled 3 times and then settling for an LED.Maybe some posters are just too particular I don't know but I now feel inclined to compare an HDR with a FHD OLED to see if price differential is worth it

Had a good play and it's pretty awesome. Netflix 4K looks stunning and blacks outstanding. When Narcos starts and it just shows 'A Netflix Original' in a dark room all you can see are those words, almost as if they are floating is how I can describe it. Even the wife said wow what a picture so that says it all!!

Good review of it here: LG B6 Review - 4k OLED HDR Ultra HD TV (OLED65B6P , OLED55B6P)

Only faults they can give are lack of 3D but not bothered with that novelty. Died a death a while ago especially after Sky and BBC stopped bothering with it.

Chalk and Cheese compared to the Sony 65". Definitely quality over quantity. Fits the room better also. 60" may be an even sweeter spot size wise so might keep this for a year or three then move up when OLED will be even cheaper but for now pleased as punch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom