LED or LCD Panel Which to Chose?

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi over the next few mths will be buying a 3d tv and i will going passive the question I want to ask what type of screen to go for LED or LCD ? I have been told to go for LED and not LCD as LCD you can get dead pixels but you don't get this on LED Is this correct & LED gives a slightly better picture anyway. Or is this dead pixels on LCD a thing of the past. Thanks for any help given

LED TV can still have broken LED lamps although its rare to happen and they have much longer life than normal lights.

Just to be clear, you know LEDs are LCD just with LED back lighting.
Edge lit LEDs seem to have more back light bleed, clouding and uniformity issues than CCFL back lit sets. Whats your budget?

Just to be clear, you know LEDs are LCD just with LED back lighting.
Edge lit LEDs seem to have more back light bleed, clouding and uniformity issues than CCFL back lit sets. Whats your budget?

I found the exact opposite.
I was sick to the back teeth of backlight problems, so I sought out an edge-lit LED and it's been perfect.
Of course, I could just be lucky (LG 42SL9500)

My Budget with 3D capable Blue Ray player and 41-42 inch TV is £700 been told LG is the route to go as I am Going Passive 3D it seems there is not much difference between the two types of screen. Am I correct in that assumption? As if LCD screen can suffer from dead pixels once you see them that's your viewing spoiled as every time you watch the TV you will see it or like I said above are dead pixels on modern LCD screens a thing of the past. I know I am asking you guys to stick your neck out The TV will be for bedroom for normal & 3D TV distance from TV will be 10ft so what do you recommend LED or LCD for picture quality ? Thanks

My Budget with 3D capable Blue Ray player and 41-42 inch TV is £700 been told LG is the route to go as I am Going Passive 3D it seems there is not much difference between the two types of screen. Am I correct in that assumption? As if LCD screen can suffer from dead pixels once you see them that's your viewing spoiled as every time you watch the TV you will see it or like I said above are dead pixels on modern LCD screens a thing of the past. I know I am asking you guys to stick your neck out The TV will be for bedroom for normal & 3D TV distance from TV will be 10ft so what do you recommend LED or LCD for picture quality ? Thanks

Its not LED vs LCD though its LED back lit LCD vs a single bulb LCD.:) LED back lit sets at your budget will be edge lit so will be slimmer and I believe they have better contrast. With edge lit LEDs the lighting comes from the edges of the screen so uniformity can be mote of an issue with more light around the edge than in the middle of the screen, also many not all find edge lit sets have more back light bleed. I dont own an LED set so FZR400RRSP may know more than me.;) heck of a name that lol.

I'm no expert, far from it.
But edge-lit LED is the minimum I now look for.
I would no longer consider an LCD with a single lamp at the back.

Thanks everybody so the sets to look for are edge-lit LED TVs does LG do one in there long list of TVs I would ask locally but all we have is Curry's Comets etc and they just give you the wrong info from TVs to cookers! so that why I am asking on here so any of the LG range that has the above to look at will be most welcome.

Thanks everybody so the sets to look for are edge-lit LED TVs does LG do one in there long list of TVs I would ask locally but all we have is Curry's Comets etc and they just give you the wrong info from TVs to cookers! so that why I am asking on here so any of the LG range that has the above to look at will be most welcome.

In the 2011 range, anything with model code LV or LW is LED.
Model code LK is single lamp LCD.
Model code PW or PZ is plasma.

I'm no expert, far from it.
But edge-lit LED is the minimum I now look for.
I would no longer consider an LCD with a single lamp at the back.

I prefer to avoid LED edge-lit LCD TVs until the technology has been perfected. Maybe next generation?

To quote David Mackenzie, contributor to AVForums & TV reviewer at HDTVTest, "Every single side-lit LCD I've reviewed has had uniformity issues of some sort".

CCFL backlit LCD TVs are much less likely to suffer from uniformity issues.

Thanks for that FZ and also other's on this forum for the help will take the above info when I chose my LG TV when I get back from Malaysia next month. While I am in K.L. I will visit one of the local multi stores one of the biggest and it has one of the largest T. V. Departments in K L. its called "Time Square" it makes Blue water look like a corner Shop! will take photos if i see TVs that have come out over there but not over here yet. Thanks once again for the help

I prefer to avoid LED edge-lit LCD TVs until the technology has been perfected. Maybe next generation?

To quote David Mackenzie, contributor to AVForums & TV reviewer at HDTVTest, "Every single side-lit LCD I've reviewed has had uniformity issues of some sort".

CCFL backlit LCD TVs are much less likely to suffer from uniformity issues.

Edge-lit has been out for a while now.
Certainly since 2010 at least?
My last backlit LCD was CCFL (Sony 40W5500) and the backlight bleed made it unwatchable.:(
Sony did get a lot of complaints about that TV, and others.
You could barely read a Sony review at that time without bad backlighting being mentioned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom