LED Lighting - Whole House Renovation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Entick, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Entick

Entick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

We're in the process of having a full house refurb done and I want to install new lighting (ceiling spotlights) throughout the entire house.

I want the lights to be flush with the ceiling and to provide an even light across spaces (rather than focused accent lighting from a narrow beam).

The problem is I'm struggling to work out my options – given it's a from scratch installation it seems there are “integrated LEDs” and also LED bulbs which go in standard fixtures? Which is better?

I will have a professional electrician installing these and want some rooms on dimmers.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    There is no "best" approach, using lamps in a separate fitting means you have the largest choice of fitting design, choosing a fully integrated lamp/fitting ensures you have a fully matched unit (in terms of heat dissipation).

In any event make sure you research dimmer compatibility carefully and stick to makes/models/loading a recommended by the lamp or LED fitting manufacturer.

I went for the lamp/fitting route as I wanted the biggest choice of fitting styles, using GU10 fittings with Megaman 6W dimmable lamps with 2800k colour temperature. This dim very nicely with my Helvar whole-house dimming system, however I've no experience of their dimming performance with regular wall-mount dimmer switches. There is a compatibility list on their website which gives an indication of performance with lamp loading and dimmer type which might be helpful.

3. Entick

Entick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Neilball. Which fittings did you go for?

Are there any retailers in London which you could recommend? I have come across Mr Resistor - is that a good store or are there others?

4. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    I used some Massive Artemis and Astro Taro fittings mainly, with a few fittings from The Light Corporation too.

The Light Corporation are worth a look if you want something more up market - they are unusual as they are both a lighting design company but also have fittings manufactured too. This means you can get everything from a bespoke designed fitting through to modified fittings from there "normal" ranges. While they are definitely not cheap you do get a quality and range which makes them good value in comparison to other higher end lighting retailers.

5. degsod

degsod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    One thing to look out for is that not all led GU10 bulbs are not the same size. Some are wider and longer so will not fit in a standard fitting. Check out the dimensions before purchase, also not all LED' snare dimable

6. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi

It think the difference is that the intergrated LED fittings are generally higher wattage but also more money. I did the same as Neil and went for Magaman 6w which replace eight 35 watt downlighters in my Kitchen. With new new fire rated housing I think they were about £20 each, but I expect your sparks can get them cheaper for you. Having lived with them for some weeks we cannot tell the difference and they certainly provide enough light so am pleased with them, especially as I had torodial transformers which buzzed when in use.

Neil - do you have Helvar 458 dimmers or the modular type? I have tried both philips and megaman on mine and they are ok but nothing like a halogen for dimming. The philips actually dim better but buzz far too much to ignore. I do use them in my office on a dimmer circuit but don't really need to dim them.

Thanks Fulltopuk

7. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    At home I've got the original modular Digidim range using 452 dimmers set to leading edge control. I've also got plenty of 458-based installs using a variety of LED fitting (0-10v and direct dimming control), and I have found it necessary to change the dimming curves in the 458 menus to improve the dimming performance.

8. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Neil, could I ask which curve you found to be most effective?

Thanks

Richard

9. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    On the last house I commissioned it was the 452 legacy curve that worked best. As it is so easy to change the dimming curve through the front panel controls you can make a change and quickly test to see which curve works best with the fittings/lamps you are controlling.

10. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Neil, will do, sorry to hijack the thread

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi, sorry continued hijack, I'm using Helvar 458 Dim8 at home with the 6W megaman lamps too. I've got a couple of other types coming in for testing too including some 7W from Orlight that look promising.

12. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi ReTrO

How have you got on with your tests. I found the Megamans do dim OK but are a bit hit and miss. Tried the Philips Master which dimmed really well but also buzzed really badly.

Cheers
    Fulltopuk

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm waiting for some Astro Taro light fittings to arrive before I can test properly. Hopefully before next weekend when we have a housewarming! :)

14. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Megaman lamps dim ok, but not perfectly on the Helvar 10A dimmers. They dim from 100 of around 50%, then pop back up to full output when you get to 45%. In the intervening space they flicker a lot. Below 45% they dim in a linear fashion. The dimmers are set to legacy dimming curves.

I have some Orluna LED Curve fittings due next week for another room. Much more expensive but with their very good dimmable Osram CC LED drivers we've had them comfortably linear down to 1% with Rako dimmer modules.

15. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Aren't the Rakos trailing edge dimmers, which are exactly what LED lamps require, the 458s are leading edge though so will give a different result?

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It all depends on the lamp or driver being used. The Osram drivers will work well with leading and trailing edge dimmers. It's still a bit hit and miss with most 240v led lamps though.