Question LED lighting options

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kevtorf, Jul 12, 2015.

1. kevtorf

kevtorf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am building a new home, and want to use LED lighting strips behind a false ceiling. I will have at least 8 strips 12 feet long. The goal is not to see the lighting and have it reflect down and light the room. The light needs to be bright enough to light the room as it will be the only lighting. This is not to accentuate the room but provide hidden lighting . I have attached a diagram. My questions are.

Do I go with 120v or 24v.
    What type of led strip should I use to get the brightens.
    If I have a dimmer on the wall driving all the lights how would that be wired.
    What type of white color should a choose. This is in a Kitchen and Dinning Room.
    Whose brans should I go with, I need good quality lasting products
    I don't need the color to change.

Attached Files:

2. Member 721023

Member 721023
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    120 or 240V (high voltage LED strips) are easy to install and can be used with conventional wall dimmer switches but are not reliable as the low voltage LED strips (24V DC). With high voltage LED strips external LED drivers are not required as with 24V strip lighting but the cutting length of the high voltage strip is not less than 50cm (usually 1 or even 2m). I personally suggest low voltage 24 Volts LED strips.

If you need a very high brightness product I suggest using SMD2835 LED strip series, they are ultra high bright and of high efficiency too.

Concerning dimming you will need a PWM DMX512 or 0-10V dimmer. Using conventional dimmer is also possible but you will need mains dimmable LED drivers to be used for the LED strip lighting. You may also consider using a conventional wall switch in combination with wireless single colour LED dimmer.

About the colour of the strips I would suggest cool white for the kitchen and warm or natural white for the dining room; you can even install hybrid strips or 2 different circuits with different CCT.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    You will get more light output if you mount the strips on the vertical lip to throw the light sideways rather than upwards as per your proposal. You will need a 24V DC dimmer and a couple of RGB amplifiers - this installation requires some expert planning - I'll send you details. You don't need DMX or 0-10V stuff.

4. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    By the way, most mains dimmable LED drivers output 12/24V AC not 12/24V DC as required by the DC strips.

5. Member 721023

Member 721023
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think you are referring to a transformer, I specifically mentioned "mains dimmable led driver" and there is only one kind which is DC12/24V and can drive any constant voltage type of LED including LED Strips!

6. kevtorf

kevtorf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Can you suggest products. This is a new house so I can install any switch or transformer. I can wire any voltage. Since I am going to have 8 strips. I was thinking to group them into two groups. 4 strips for the Kitchen. 4 Strips for the Dinning room. I didn't want too many transformers, maybe a master per group? I want to mount the switch on the wall and not carry a remote that I will definitely loose. Looking for clean and simple.

Thanks again for all your help.

7. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    A 12/24V wall mounted dimmer sounds suitable.

8 x 12ft =~ 8 x 4m =~ 32m will need 19A @ 24V = 230W of power if using 14.4W/m strips. So you will need a fanned psu rated at 300W to allow some headroom. Or 2 off 150W fan-less psu's.

8. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Who sells these then?

9. Member 721023

Member 721023
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi-Line Lighting sells those. Available for up to 100W & 150W at this moment (constant voltage 24V)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  10. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Yes - I found that with a recent search- that's only good for 100/14.4 = 7m of 60/m strip.