LED Bulbs

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by IanW1977, Feb 18, 2014.

1. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Has anyone tried these ??

I have seen some on E bay - The Cap style ones which are found in Side lights and the double cap ones (That look like fuses) that fit in Number plate lights and Interior lights.

I have seen some Pure White type ones on Number plates which look good. Looking to change the old fashioned yellow type bulbs interior wise and exterior wise.
    Thanks

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,432
    A guy at work always replaces his internal and external bulbs with these. I tried some but they were very cheap and didn't fit well, ended up just getting some brighter halogen sidelight bulbs.

3. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Yeah I won't go down the sidelight road tbh just number plates and interiro

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I have LED sidelights, no issues, sometimes they can be taller than the standard type so just take car of clearance.

5. Mr_Ceee

Mr_Ceee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Depending on your car you may need to make sure you get ones that won't throw bulb out warnings up on the dash. Depending on if and how your car checks for open circuit bulbs you may end up with LEDs that are slightly on constantly or just refuse to work. I went through a few different types that were supposed to work on my old bmw until I got some that didn't give bulb out warnings or were on all of the time.

I had a full set (interior and exterior) for my bmw from eBay that looked great but the sidelight bulbs didn't last very long and one of the festoon number plate lights went soon after. The interiors ones were great though and gave off a much crisper brighter light, but this depends on the colour temperature you go for.

6. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I replaced all my interior lights and door puddle lights with blue LEDs off ebay.
    They advertised as no CANBUS errors, and they were right, no warnings at all.
    They've been fitted for about 3 months now, all still working.

7. Matt Damon

Matt Damon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The sidelight LED bulbs that I bought could be put in the wrong way around in the holder. If you fit one and it doesn't light up then pop it out and spin it 180 and should work.

8. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Picked up 20 bulbs 10 sidelight push in ones and 10 caterpillar type interior ones.

Number plate bulbs and interior lights replaced so next step is sidelights I think as they are pretty impressive and I have 5 left over.

The only one I didn't change was 1 map reading light in my car which is a fat 8 watt bulb like the indicator and brake light variety.

Wife didn't even notice the interior lights in her car were white not yellow either ! Defiantly a man thing.

9. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Should have come back before about the ones that only go round the one way ! Only discovered after looking on a website for some other bulbs so the 1 interior light that didn't work was turned around et voila.

10. gex23

gex23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Has anyone ever used the H7 LED bulls designed for fog lights in their dipped beams? (I assume the distance is poor compared to filament bulbs)

I'm currently running Osram 'Nightbreaker plus' but they still look yellowy compared to the cool white / blue tint of the sidelights.

H7 LED : H7 FOG LIGHT LED - 68 LED (PAIR)

And here's an example of LED compared to filament :

[​IMG]

11. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    You won't see anything whatsoever with those, neither will oncoming drivers because of the glare. The 1800/2000 lumen LED conversion kits are terrible when doing comparisons to halogen so I dread to think what SMD LED's would be like.

12. gex23

gex23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I understand the lumens output of the cheaper LEDs are poor, i'm hoping that some of the 4 / 5w CREE LED bulbs make their way into car bulbs soon, as these will be more than a match for filament bulbs.

Also I disagree regarding glare and oncoming drivers - this is the same case for HID conversions and occurs if you have reflectors, but not so with projector lights.

13. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I take it you've not encountered an oncoming projector equipped car with a HID kit and people sitting in the back where the driver hasn't manually lowered the lights?

14. gex23

gex23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I haven't.

I have however encountered a projector equipped car with self levellers and with the HIDs correctly installed and beam pattern correct.

Don't tar us all with the same brush ;)

15. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Don't forget that headlights, fog lights and driving lights must be "E" marked to be legal.

The vast majority of the numptys who have fitted HiD upgrades are running around illegally and our local boys in blue are starting to take an interest. A simple check, then they seize your car and it costs £150 to get it back, plus a fixed penalty notice and the cost to have it checked that it is legal before it goes back on the road...

16. gex23

gex23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hence why I went for H7 bulb upgrades (Osram Nightbreakers) over HIDs.

I don't get why the local chavs / boy races go for a ridiculously high K rating which is stupidly blue - it looks sh*t and is only going to attract attention from the po-lice.

17. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm not quite sure where I'm tarring all with the same brush as nothing was mentioned about fully legal, retro-fitted HID lights. All I'm saying is it's not just a case of reflectors (very) bad, projectors ok.

It's interesting to see that the new breed of bi-led headlights don't need washers anymore. None on the new Qashqai Tekna nor the new Merc S Class.

18. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Reminds me of the old days 100 watt blue bulbs ahoy I never got pulled either. Mind you back in the 90s there were far worse offenders car wise.