• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

led backlit tv help?

mike_allison

Standard Member
hi there,

thanks for looking at my post yet another which tv should i go for thread. sorry.

here are my thoughts

lg 47sl9500

samsung ue46b6000

samsung ue46b7020

sony kdl-46ex700

endlessy searching for answers with no real results! any help would be much appreciated

okeyblokey

Standard Member
Hi Mike

Just had delivery this week from Currys (£1199) & wall mounted it in the lounge to replace the Panny, which is now 'Retired' for gaming purposes only into the dining room (soon also to be wall mounted).

First impresssions are mixed. On the one hand, it looks sensational with HD or good quality SD content. I note that some views of other LG sets talk about 'Jaggies' when viewed from an angle other than straight on; they're here, but only really from quite an acute angle (est.120degs+).

Sound is - inevitably - a little tinny, but I output anything other than normal viewing to the amp, so haven't any issues with that.

DVD is great via the upscaling Samsung player I have - watched Return of The King last night and the LG revealed a lot more detail, especially on the Pelennor battlefield.

SKY HD is good, but notably only where the recording of the programme was done in HD originally. Anything else looks a little murky. Just watched five minutes of Australia on movies HD and the contrast of Nicole Kidman's black dress against the blue sky & orange landscape was, frankly, sensational to my eyes.

I should add that I'm a sports freak and everything I've seen on Sport HD looks great. From the light reflection on rally cars (Eurosport) to the movement of the ball & grass texture on football (SKY & BBC HD) is marvellous. Can't wait for the world cup!

Blu Ray is also tremendously well presented. HP : The Half Blood Prince tracked movement well, displayed again great contrast levels and showed lots of character detail, especially in close up.

Gaming - not done enough yet to really say. Comments I've seen question lag times and I would concur that they are more pronounced at first impression than my plasma, but the level of detail in 1080p is good. Might just have been a bad domination match on MW2?

In summary, I'm happy with the set. The issues I have appear to be more about the technology than the capability of the set. Let me know if you've any questions.

Cheers.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Before deciding I d certainly wait for EX700,to at least see it.Its 2nd gen led edge,with a load of internet options and wifi optional connectivity,with the usual sony very high standards.the B6000/B7000 are great but as things are now,its not worth the extra over the other old CCFL models

marshalex

Before deciding I d certainly wait for EX700,to at least see it.Its 2nd gen led edge,with a load of internet options and wifi optional connectivity,with the usual sony very high standards.the B6000/B7000 are great but as things are now,its not worth the extra over the other old CCFL models

any idea on when the new sony models are coming out as some of them look well stocked feature wise.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
the ex700 will come end of february along with NX700/NX800

mike_allison

Standard Member
right thanks for the replys.

i feel its now down to the

samsung ue46b7020
or
Lg 47SL9500

i can now source them for the same price. any thoughts, or should i wait for the sony models to come out?

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
as I said I d wait,the samsung and the lg are first gen edge led and dont offer much of an upgrade

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom