• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LED back lighting on non-wall mounted plasma...worth it?

roakes

Hey all,

Just got my new plasma TV and while reading up on best viewing conditions I have come across plenty of articles regarding back lighting the TV to reduce eye strain and help enhance picture quality. The problem is that most (if not all) of the articles refer to TVs which have been wall mounted or at least on a stand up against a wall. My TV on the other hand is on a stand but the stand sits in an alcove in the corner of the room so there's loads of room behind the TV, this means the light won't be cast straight up against the wall but fill an area.

The question is, will I see the same benefit? Just wanted to see if anyone else has been in the similar situation and given it a go before I go spending money on some LED strips. I can provide a photo when I get home later for clarification if necessary.

Thanks

Russ

schford

My 65 inch is in the corner and looks awesome with led strips on the back!

roakes

So the light is cast out into a space rather than against a wall? Could you take a photo? Do you still get the same benefits as when wall mounted?

Thanks for the speedy reply :D

roakes

This is my setup:

CameraZOOM-20111206183829939.jpg

schford

off to take a photo on iphone brb!

schford

Excuse my Onkyo 905 - the AVR 600 is back with Arcam :-(

Also the colour is a really nice Orange - but iphone not doing it justice!

Stuart

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 396

roakes

Looks very much like my situation then and looks great! What LED strip kit did you buy and how many strips and length?

Berties

Banned
Mine is off the wall, on a Origin S2A stand, about 1" from the wall, putting LED strip lights was well worth it (4 x 24") Before with the ceiling light on, it caused the screen to look grey and washed the picture out, now it's black and it really stands out, but since you're not watching in a unlit room the LED back light provide enough light so you don't get eye strain.

mikeplow1961

I've literally just installed led backlighting on my 50inch plasma today with a kit from visualchilloucomoros.uk. My tv is on a stand in a corner until next Spring when we are putting in a floating wall hopefully and it was well worth doing. My missus is over the moon with the results.

6edrv5.jpg

a48qd2.jpg

Only minor snag is that the ir receiver for the lights uses same frequency as the usb ir receiver on my HTPC so it's going to mean a new ir receiver once i establish what frequency it uses.

Looks great though I think.

Edit - another problem, we've had the tv on about three hours tonight and the adhesive on the back of the led strip is detaching from the tv back, despite it being cleaned and dried before application. :-(

Last edited:

schford

You need to make sure you get one with genuine 3M tape sounds like its a cheap kit that at £55 for 5m is so overpriced its untrue - I paid less than that for 10m with genuine 3M!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom