Lecson DVD1000 & PAL PS tested..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by museumsteve, Feb 27, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    and I have to say I'm really struggling to spot any improvement over 625i.
    My kit:-

Panny PTAE100
    Pioneer DVD 939-A
    Lecson DVD 1000
    Denon AVCA1SE
    + speakers of course..:D

so I've been enjoying progressive through my pioneer and projector, but the 939 wont do PAL progressive.
    So after reading about the Lecson, I shot to Guildford today to grab one.
    When I put an NTSC disc in it gives a very admirable performance in progressive..not that far from my Pioneer's quality, although lacking some clarity in the colour dept and from time to time giving a few dodgy edges.
    I was expecting more from PAL progressive because of the higher no. of lines...but this doesn;t seem to be the case. I just cant see any noticeable difference..
    Has anyone else got one and tried the PAL progressive..?? If so any discs that stand out from the crowd as worth trying out.
    The idea of having progressive for everything is very appealing as I'd be able to have the best of all worlds..
    I hope to hear others input..
    thanks

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    hi m8 I have the lescon and I am waiting for my panasonic and I have been reading tims thread over on the projector forum and he says with pal progessive he got some blooming round the edges of opening credits of movies, does yours do the same?

Also time says he has trouble getting 525p on ntsc discs he says that it says 625p and when he forces the player to ntsc he gets 525p but looses the picture is yours the same or did you manage to get prper nsc progresive without anydownscaling and if so what settings are you using.

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    well I've been playing around some more and here's my latest feelings.:-
    In progressive I can;t get an NTSC disc to output 525p but get a good picture at 625p.
    The PAL progressive is nice but doesn;t look as good as the NTSC PS I get from my Pioneer, but it does look marginally better than the PAL interlace the Pioneer outputs..
    In straight component (the player has 2 sets of outputs) the you can select either PAL or NTSC playback regardless of disc format.
    The component picture is lovely..very impressive and IMHO the PAL signal in non-ps looks better than the NTSC progressive I'm seeing. When playing an NTSC disc using PAL output, the picture is lovely and cinematically smooth..and it increases the picture size (I assume this is something to do with the lines etc)..
    I'm no expert, I just say it as I see..
    I carried out these tests using 2 copies of Armageddon (Reg 1 Criterion & Reg 2 PAL Spc Ed)..

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    I have recently done a little more testing with pal progressive, using The Phantom Menace as a test piece, I would have to say there isn't much differance between s-video and pal prog with this disc, but I could see a differance when testing with The planet of the Apes, at the beginning of the film the second time you see the chimp hit the black control panel, there is a big differance in picture quality, there is so much more detail in pal progressive on the control panel IMHO.
    I need to try and get componant interlaced working, failed so far, the socket's are a bit confusing, maybe try again when I get my componant leads on wednesday.
    Watched the Gringe tonight, a bad disc but it was very watchable in s-video.
    My kids watched Batman region 2 the other night in pal progressive, still no lipsinc problems :)

ps. I also noticed in s-video at the start of Shrek, I can at times see the chicken wire effect, but this vanishe's with pal progressive.

5. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you guys have had these players a little longer how are you finding them?, any problems?

Also have they got an manual setting for anamorphic and what is the quality of the co-axial digital sound like?

your help would be appreciated

dan

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    well mine's being sold tonight. I'd rather stick with my progressive Pioneer 939-A and put up with non PS PAL..

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    hope to get a refund tomorrow, progressive scan fault :(

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Got my refund yesterday, this could be a good deck for the price it is, they just need to sort the progressive image out.

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    well..got rid of mine, and the bloke I sold it to took it back to Debenhams and got a full refund..:D
    The helpline said to him that loads were being returned and Debenhams has stopped stocking the player...