lecson 1000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pat clancy, May 22, 2002.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i,ve seen this player in what hifi,gets 5*****,has anyone heard a player from lecson,what do they sound like,who makes them,as i am thinking of a trip to debenhams tomorrow,

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    myself, timh & a few other people bought these to use the progressive scanning with our projectors, but it didnt do this very well so we returned them for a refund, it was quite a good player and easy to make multi region, but as the progressive scanning was poor it was no good for me. It is up to you if you want to buy it as debenhams have a 28 day return policy so get try & if you dont like it take it back, but if it is for use with a projector I would avoid it.

3. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi chic,so what was the sound like,dvds and cds,i will probably use the internal decoding,would you recommend this machine minus the prog scan

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    then sound on dvds & cds sounded good to me, both sound & picture was better than my previous player, it is a good player if you are just using it connected to a tv , best bet is to try for yourself & if you dont like it take it back within 28 days & get a refund.

5. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Lecson 2000 has been getting top reviews in magazines. It apparantly is only available from Debenhams, but our local store (Bournemouth) doesn't have any.

6. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    peter you can buy them from debs web site,i buoght one yesterday,10% off,plus another 10% off if you open an account,so i got mine for £160

7. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pat

Thanks very much for this info. Unfortunately, not being able to get one until now I bought a Toshiba SD220 about 3 weeks ago. That said, the Toshiba (apart from needing a firmware upgrade - see other posts) is a very good player and I am on the whole very pleased with it.

However, £160 for a easily hacked, highly rated player in both video and audio playback is a bargain. I have a friend who has been looking for one, so I will let him know.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
    Peter

Pat, I have just visited the Debenhams site but could not find the latest Lecson DVD-2000. Was it the DVD-1000 you bought? If not could you provide the URL for where on their site it is. Thanks.

8. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi peter,it was the 1000 i bought,i didn,t know there was a 2000,where did you see it advertised, pat

9. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pat

I haven't seen the DVD-2000 advertised for sale, but have seen some rave reviews on it in last month's Gramaphone (who as an audio magazine rate it's CD playback capabilities), and this month's Home Entertainment and (I think) Home Cinema magazine (the sister publication of What Video & TV).

They all gave it very good reviews. It is supposed to be selling for £200 from Debenhams but I have not seen it on their website or at our local store. Maybe they are trying to sell off the DVD-1000 and then put it on the shelves after that?

Can anyone else throw any light on this?

Peter

10. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi pete,i saw home entertainment mag today,they reviewed the 1000 last month,no 2000,are you sure there is a 2000

11. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pat

What a total dipstick I am :blush:! Of course, you are right, there is no 2000, the 1000 is the latest model and the one that has been getting all the good magazine reviews.

I was confusing the 1000 with the Lecson DVD-900 which is the previous model. As for the 2000 ... must be a millenium bug in my brain :eek: !

So based on what the magazine reviewers have been saying, for £160 I think you've got an absolute steal. As I said, Gramophone reviewed it recently and rated it very highly which for an audiophile magazine is praise indeed. I seem to remember that the reviewer thought it was the first DVD player in this sort of price range that was worthy of playing CD-audio.

Anyway, sorry again :blush: :blush: . I shall let my friend know as he was waiting for one.

Best regards,
    Peter

PS. Pat, just one more thing so I can pass the info on to my friend. You said you got 10% off + another 10% for opening an account. You suggested this was from the Debenhams website, but looking on there jusy now, I can't see nay mention of 10% off (what is that for) or 10% off if opening an account. Please can you help?

12. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi pete,no problem we all make mistakes,i got the discount in the store,sorry i should have this clear,debs had up to 25% of everything on thursday,so i rang on wed to see what was off the lecson,they said 10%,so i asked if i opened an account would i get another 10% off,yes they said,so off i went to debs on got the 1OOO for £160,not bad eh,multi region and macro disabled,and the big plus for me is that it plays cdr,s with jpeg files cause i take a lot of photos,rgrds pat

13. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pat

Thanks for the reply. Yes, great deal. So do Debenhams do 25% discount on items every Thursday or was that a one-off?

Peter

14. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi pete,dont know how often they have money off,best to give them a ring,or open an account to get 10% off,you dont have to use the card again, pat

15. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pat - I've recently bought a Toshiba SD220 so I've missed out on this deal, but I'll tell my friend who is looking to replace his aging Samsung. Thanks again for your help.

Peter

16. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pat

Just one other thing. I have told my friend about your Lecson. I know you have only had it for 3 days now, but how do you rate it? How does it compare with other players you have owned and what would you say are the good and bad things about it?

Thanks, Peter

17. John Sparks

John Sparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do you turn macro off and make the 1000 multiregion ? , is it rce ok ? , also can it convert ntsc/ pal and pal / ntsc . thanks John

18. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi john.using remote,open drawer,press intro,key in 20110 and when the tv display say ok close drawer,thats it,i dont know abuot rce,i,ve no disks

19. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi pete,i,m very pleased with this player,cds are v good indeed,dvds excellent,plays cdr,cdrw,vcd,jpegs,the instruction book could be better,its very brief and even though the built in decoders are very good,you cant adjust each speaker level,i,ve had a pioneer 626,the lecson beats it on cd playback and picture

20. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Pat, I've passed it on.

Re John's query I thought RCE was to do with the crafty programming some film companies put on their disks to try to prevent R2 multi-region players from playing R1 disks despite the fact that they have been multi-regioned?

See the info at this link on the Techtronics site:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/510-rce-regional-coding-enhancement.html

Peter

21. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    the lescon plays rce discs ok well the one I had did for the short time I had it

22. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chic

Which one did you have and why did you get rid of it?

Peter

23. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I had the lescon 1000 and I bought for the component outs & progressive scan ability for use with my panasonic projector, it gave a good picture with my normal tv but when I connected to my projector & selected progressive scan mode it gave a poorer picture in progressive mode than in interlaced when it should be the opposite so I returned it & bought a tosh 510 which is superb with the panasonic.

If you connect the lescon to a tv & dont use the progressive scan features it is a good player for the money but it didnt do well what it states on the box IMHO