Leaving TV on Standby

sparkymark75

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I notice in the manual of my Sammy LCD that it states not to leave your TV on standby for long periods of time, e.g. when on holiday.

Is it safe to leave it on standby overnight? It's a bit awkward to have to unplug it every evening before bed.

I had a Hitachi CRT a few years ago that didn't appreciate being left on standby for long periods and would refuse to come back on until left switched off entirely for a few hours, I don't fancy the same happening to my nice new Sammy :)

mparter said:
I notice in the manual of my Sammy LCD that it states not to leave your TV on standby for long periods of time, e.g. when on holiday.

Is it safe to leave it on standby overnight? It's a bit awkward to have to unplug it every evening before bed.

I had a Hitachi CRT a few years ago that didn't appreciate being left on standby for long periods and would refuse to come back on until left switched off entirely for a few hours, I don't fancy the same happening to my nice new Sammy :)
Yes, it's safe to leave on overnight. But probably not ecologically sound, since it will be consuming a small amount of power (although you can ignore the idiotic claims about this that are frequently trotted out by credulous journalists who can't be arsed to do their own research!)

Leaving it on standby while you are on holiday does seem particularly pointless, and I suspect the advice is a combination of sound energy conservation principles and "playing it safe". A device that is switched off will always be safer than one that is on standby, even if the absolute risk is tiny.

Your Hitachi set was just faulty!

Well, when you go on holiday (say for at least a week) you should really switch off all the things in your house, for safety reasons. Gas and electricity should really be off. If you don't want to turn the whole house's electricity off, then you should at least turn off completely things like TV, washing machines, dishwashers, and all things that we usually leave on standby.

mparter said:

You don't actually have to unplug the TV for it NOT be on standby. By actually turning the TV off on the actual set (the "on/off" button) does not consume energy - only when the standby button on the remote is pressed.

When I press the button on the front, it seems to enter a standby mode as the red light stays on.

po_man said:
You don't actually have to unplug the TV for it NOT be on standby. By actually turning the TV off on the actual set (the "on/off" button) does not consume energy - only when the standby button on the remote is pressed.

On the Sammy - you can't "switch" it off - whether you use the power switch on the TV or remote, it just goes to standby.

so unplug is the only way to ensure it's not on standby - it's a pain, but no biggie

DanDT said:
Well, when you go on holiday (say for at least a week) you should really switch off all the things in your house, for safety reasons. Gas and electricity should really be off. If you don't want to turn the whole house's electricity off, then you should at least turn off completely things like TV, washing machines, dishwashers, and all things that we usually leave on standby.
I used to know someone who was unable to leave his house for more than brief periods without switching off all the services (gas, water, electricity). I think this has more to do with obsessive-compulsive disorder than rational behaviour.

Your priority should be to ensure that the systems in your house are in a safe condition in the first place. By saying you should switch everything off for safety reasons (rather than energy conservation reasons), you are implicitly accepting that there is a significant chance they might fail catastrophically and you won't be there to sort them out. If you really think that might happen in a week, then I'd suggest you are taking an unacceptable risk by leaving your house unattended for even a day! And I'm not sure how you can sleep easily at night either.

There are certain things I won't do - I won't go out leaving my (CRT) TV, dishwasher or washing machine running, for example - but other than that, I'm fairly relaxed about the safety aspects of leaving things powered up. For energy reasons, I usually switch TVs off standby if they are not going to be used for a few hours. On the other hand, I leave my PC on 24/7, unless I am going away for more a day. It justifies its energy consumption by donating all its spare CPU cycles to a variety of scientific projects (via BOINC).

njp said:
I used to know someone who was unable to leave his house for more than brief periods without switching off all the services (gas, water, electricity). I think this has more to do with obsessive-compulsive disorder than rational behaviour.

... What r u saying... :rolleyes:

:D

There are certain things I won't do - I won't go out leaving my (CRT) TV, dishwasher or washing machine running, for example - but other than that, I'm fairly relaxed about the safety aspects of leaving things powered up. For energy reasons, I usually switch TVs off standby if they are not going to be used for a few hours. On the other hand, I leave my PC on 24/7, unless I am going away for more a day. It justifies its energy consumption by donating all its spare CPU cycles to a variety of scientific projects (via BOINC).

I go out with these things on!! YAY i'm not crazy!! :rotfl:

njp said:
On the other hand, I leave my PC on 24/7, unless I am going away for more a day. It justifies its energy consumption by donating all its spare CPU cycles to a variety of scientific projects (via BOINC).
And probably consumes even more energy by not being left idle ;)

If you have a freezer, and most people do, I wouldn't recomend switching off your electric before going on holiday.

ianh64 said:
And probably consumes even more energy by not being left idle ;)
Based on the increased CPU temperature when it's running flat-out (i.e always!), that is certainly true. My guess is that the percentage increase on the overall power consumption is fairly small. But I admit I haven't measured it.

I console myself with the belief that I am maximising the longevity of my PC by rarely switching it off. I therefore refuse to listen to any evidence to the contrary. ;)

DanDT said:
I go out with these things on!! YAY i'm not crazy!! :rotfl:
You wear them? You are definitely crazy...

Oh, I see what you mean. Well I used to know a fireman, you see. And he would regale me with tales of house fires caused by runaway dishwashers. And I've known people who have left washing machines running and returned to find a flood. And old CRT Tvs have been known to overheat...

It's all about risk assessment. I've made mine, and you've made yours!

njp said:
Based on the increased CPU temperature when it's running flat-out (i.e always!), that is certainly true. My guess is that the percentage increase on the overall power consumption is fairly small. But I admit I haven't measured it.

I console myself with the belief that I am maximising the longevity of my PC by rarely switching it off. I therefore refuse to listen to any evidence to the contrary. ;)

I am a Firefighter, and I have lost count of the number of house fires I have been to that were caused by washing machines, dishwashers, and the like overheating and shorting out. These have often been put on and the householder has gone out or gone to bed and the next thing you know is we are there putting it out.

Our advise is to not have these running when there is no one around and to unplug all unessessary appliances when leaving the house for an extended period.

I have the samsung and do switch off at the wall at night and when I go out ( I would never live it down if I was called to put out my own TV ! )

njp said:
You wear them? You are definitely crazy...

Oh, I see what you mean. Well I used to know a fireman, you see. And he would regale me with tales of house fires caused by runaway dishwashers. And I've known people who have left washing machines running and returned to find a flood. And old CRT Tvs have been known to overheat...

It's all about risk assessment. I've made mine, and you've made yours!

Well if i don't do the washing while i'm out or i'm asleep, when am i ever going to have time to do stuff when i'm at home!! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom