Leaving Sky

syelad

Standard Member
Hi All,
Just after some advise, apologies for some lack of knowledge. With my sky bill seemingly creeping up every month I'm contemplating switching to freeview HD. At the moment I have a sky hd box in the living room, with a feed going into the kitchen for a second TV (can only watch whats on in the living room). I also have another TV in a bedroom with multiroom which I am happy to get rid of. I THINK the cable that feeds the kitchen TV runs from the back of the sky HD box in the living room and the cable feeding the multiroom box runs directly off the dish (guess that makes sense)

What I am thinking of doing is replacing the sky box in the living room with a freesat hd pvr of some sort (recommendations welcome!) and then just using the built in SD freeview tuner on the tv in the kitchen. Question is; is it possible to use the sky dish to pick up normal freeview? I do have an arial in the loft which feeds another TV in another bedroom but it would mean running a new cable to the tv in the kitchen which is wall mounted (with current cable chased into wall).

Also need to switch broadband and phone but I think I can cope with that.....

Thanks for you help,
Simon

syelad

Standard Member
Hiya - thanks. I notice the Humax foxsat box has an "out" connector on the back like the sky hd box. Does this mean it will feed a second tv?

iaint

Hi.
Not quite; the Foxsat "out" connector is a satellite passthru for feeding another satellite receiver or feeding into LNB input 2 for the single-cable mode. It also comes with annoying limitations...
I don't suppose your normal aerial is also connected to somewhere near the living room TV? Perhaps connected to RF in on skybox (distinct from lnb/dish in1 and 2). Can you get anything on either the kitchen TV or living room TV with the skybox in standby?
--
Regards, Iain.

Pollensa1946

Hiya - thanks. I notice the Humax foxsat box has an "out" connector on the back like the sky hd box. Does this mean it will feed a second tv?
None of the Humax boxes have a RF out that can feed an analogue signal to a 2nd TV, and AFAIK no other Freesat box offers this facility. You need to buy a separate RF Modulator, which is how I solved the problem.

syelad

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies - there is no arial connection near the living room unfortunately. The cable from the sky box goes outside and over the house, through the loft (where the arial is) and then down the other side of the house and into the kitchen. If I disconnect the cable from the sky box (just cut it off outside) and then pull it into the loft I guess I could connect up to the arial and get freeview on the TV in the kitchen that way??

I'll look into the RF modulator, it's all a bit new to me!

Thanks again.

iaint

Hi.
If you cut into this long cable in the loft, leaving one end heading to the kitchen, and the other end going to the living room, you could get freeview to both places.
--
Regards, Iain.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom