Leaving Power amp on

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Stereo Steve, May 24, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I should be taking delivery of my 1205a soon and although it has a trigger input (I think), I may be changing my amp to one which doesn't have a control output.

Reading some stuff that I got with some Russ Andrews mains stuff I bought, he says to leave all your equipment on 24/7 which is something I have never done. I do leave my sub on all the time and that seems OK. So, if I leavethe 1205a on all the time, will it get hot and use a lot of electricity or will it sit there as cool as a cucumber until it is required to rock and roll?

Anyone leave their's on 24/7?

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nope. The only item left on is the Quattro; the 559, sub and Pace are left in standby; the remainder is turned off.

N.B.
    Used to leave the Pace on, but in doing so it had the annoying habit of locking up from time to time. Leaving it in standby has solved this minor irritation.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve
    I tend to leave my P7 on all the time, find its got "more" to it

John

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does it get hot, or just warm up when used?

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I leave my powers and subwoofers on 7/24, so far no problem... :rolleyes:

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sterio steve
    when i chatted to henry at crt projectors re the a23 halo about the signal sensing auto turn on etc, i was advised to just power up the amp say half hour before using ,and turn off at night.

7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I used to leave my Rotel RMB1095 on all the time as its consumption wasn't huge. However, the Krell I now have uses 235 watts at idle, so I use the 12v trigger to switch it on and off. The manual states that 10 mins warm up is sufficient.

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just tried my 1075 with no signal and it does get warm which means it's using a bit of electricity. Adds to the heating in the winter I spose. I'll have to see how much the 1205 uses.

9. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is barely warm if left on 24/7, but the sonic benefits are, to my ears worth it

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Mine are a set of the old KMA's and use as much idling as they do at full tilt,so it amounts to in excess of 500W per channel and more under full drive,so when they're not being used,they stay off!....like all Class A stuff they take a good 30mins to get up to temperature.

Tha Parasound is a good bit more efficient,so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to leave it on.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Most amps draw a small current even when they receive no signal and hence produce some amount of heat. I would switch my kit of for saftey reasons, in particular for longer periods of time (at night or when I am out of the house, holiday etc.).

12. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No way I can leave the Proceed AMP5 on, it's like a radiator!!
    I do leave the pre on standby howerver, with no apparent issues.
    The power amp definitely sounds better after a 30 min warm-up

Regards
    Peter

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    always leave my rotel 1075 on 24/7

14. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just set up my 1205a and have left it on for a couple hours with no input. It gets warm but not really hot. No hotter than my Grundig Sky box anyway. One thing I did notice is the improvement in sound as it warmed up, quite dramatic. I think I'll leave it on and see how hot the cabinet gets. Trouble is, my kit will soon be enclosed and I planned to have the doors open when in use and closed when not. It will be a big cabinet though with loads of space around and above each component.

The main problem is I have decided to go from a Denon 3803 to a Marantz 6200 for processing duties (until I can afford another AV32R) and it has no trigger output.

15. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Get a Master-Slave AC outlet (socket) then!

16. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Eh what? What's that and where can I get one?

17. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I used to leave REL subs on the whole time. Also my old Densen Beat amp was 'never' turned off! The audio difference from cold to nicely warm was dramatic.

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    But having said that, I now have active ATC speakers which I turn on about 30 mins before use otherwise they can sound a bit clinical until 'under steam'.

I haven't left them on for any length of time when not in use.

19. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    See here

Should be available in electronic (component) stores or handy marts.

20. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys. I have just bought a Marantz 7200 to replace my 6200 and that has 12v trigger outs, so problem solved. I think I'll probably fire the receiver up in the morning and turn it off at night if I remember.

The 1205a definately needs to be warm before it sings.

21. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All my audio stuff is left on standby. The power amps do get warm, but as most electronic components fail when being switched on from cold rather than when warm, I'd rather live with the small cost. Answer might be different if I had Krells! I used to own Audiolab amps and they were all class A design, but left them on anyway. Though there's heat being generated, I'm not sure they would consume the equivalent of their actual power ratings when idle, ie 200w.

22. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do anyone bother turning off the water tape? Water is cheaper then electricity is it not?

Do you ever turn off your lights at night before going to sleep? A few light bulbs only uses the same amount of energy as your toys on idle. So why doing one but not both.

On more thing. Which do you think of these use more energy, one 2000W electric heater in one hour or

an stereo amp leave on idle for 4 days? :rolleyes:

23. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But cleaning up the mess left by flooding can get prety expensive... :rolleyes:

24. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lowrider,

I am sorry for coming across as making a mountain over a very small issue.

When I first read those Russ Andrews promotional magazine that they sent out my first impression was it makes interesting reading. Free upgrade to sound quality for very little money etc..

If you read it again but with a more critical eye they are actually no better then one of those many audio-guru promoting pseudoscience to gullible fan who are actually keen hobbist. They are just not true. Keeping your amp toastly don't actually takes that long.

In this case it also promote a thinking that natural resources is something that comes out from thin air. Just because we cannot see electricity like water or know how it is produce it seems many people don't actually make the connection that like any other form of energy it is not free.

If all of us are so wastefull the power have to be manufactured from some way some how. We are actually asking for more nuclear powerstations to be built or petrolium reserve to be burn up faster. Or more polution...Nothing comes free.

I know it is a bit difficult to make the connection from not turning off your hifi to world energy resources. Think about it a bit. Peace.

Wolfgang.

25. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    How do you answer that post ? Im guilty for leaving my system powered up :blush: but it sounds so much better, Naim pre amps take days to warm up, its not a arbitary statement, its all down to capacitor charging.

Would I change........in a word, no............but Im mindful of the extra energy expenditure (the cost is not an issue). Solar cells ? might be a way forward, theres some interesting developments on that front.

26. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont worry, I got a digital amplifier because it uses a lot less power, particullarly when I leave it on, also I decided against a plasma because it uses too much power, will go for LCD or DLP retro instead... :rolleyes:

Actually what I just said is true, but I am more worried with having enough juice for all the kit... ;)

27. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my humble opinion those are actually very sensible idea. We should be more supportive of alternative reusable energy resources and at the same time make use of more energy efficient solution. Hmmm.... there must be a way to enjoy spining these discs without any guilt. I turn off my toys, including a 500W amp, because I never find then that much audible differences after a few minutes. Let your ears guide you.

If those digital amp have such a sonic benefit we are on to a winner on both account.

Btw personelly I find those wind farm turbines actually quite beautiful and serene to look at. I am not an engineer but they look like they odd to be more efficient then those old crumbly wooden windmill that everyone seems to be very keen on.

28. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm with Karkus 30. I always leave my Naim equipment on. If they are left off and cold for more than a couple of hours they do take a considerable time to get back to their optimum state of perfomance.

I've always been told to keep the pre amps and amplifiers on if you need a consistant level of perfomance.

29. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many people tell me a lot of things too but over the years in this hobby I find one need to choice who to believe and above all follow my ears and learn to listen carefully what really makes real differences.

Thanks for helping to confirm my next choice of amp will definately not be a Naim. Maybe it does sound good after a week later. There are many others that sound excellent within a few minutes. :rolleyes: Hifi is suppose to be toys to enjoy. Peace.

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    let them build more nuclear power stations.....