Quantcast

Leaving PJ in standby?

A

AV nutter

The only way i can leave my pj is in standby to turn it on or off withiut having to get a ladder out to use the swich all the time will this cause damage to tubes burn marks or hours used by being in stand by ty.mike

B

Boy Lex

It shouldn't cause any damage as it's designed to cope with standby. It certainly won't add hours or tube wear since the tubes are not being powered. It will increase your electricity bill marginally though!

Can you switch it on/off at the wall?

cosaw

Novice Member
Can you switch it on/off at the wall?
Mike already suggested that to me but I said I wansn't sure if it would power down in the same way?? Question is if the power button on the pj is at the beginning of the chain and therefore analagous to a wall switch. If all the switch does is cut the AC line then a wall switch would do exactly the same and as you say Lex that would be the answer! What do you think?

B

Boy Lex

Looking at the insides, I'd say the power switch does just that. Cuts/connects the AC feed. Part of the design of the projector is that there are switches to determine whether it starts in standby or lights up when you give it power. Since the whole thing is designed to be ceiling mounted, I think we can assume that the desginers had in mind installations where a switch would be located at a sensible height that cut/restored ac power.

A

AV nutter

:D Thankyou guys for your replys thats made my life lot better no aggro once again thankyou .mike

davehk

With most projectors, when you switch if off using the remote, the lamp is turned off but the fan continues to run to cool the lamp enevelope for a few minutes. If you remove the power before this has completed, you will shorten lamp life.

cosaw

Novice Member
With most projectors, when you switch if off using the remote, the lamp is turned off but the fan continues to run to cool the lamp enevelope for a few minutes. If you remove the power before this has completed, you will shorten lamp life.
Just to clarify are you talking about CRT projectors or an LCD or DLP type? Its just because you used the word "lamp". With CRT pjs I don't beleive the fans stay on for extra time - I'll have to have a listen next time though to confirm.

davehk

Sorry - yes, DLP/LCD - I missed the mention of tubes. Though I seem to remember that with some of the big Barco CRTs the same thing applies

Best bet is to check the use manual - it'll have a warning if this applies to your proj.

B

Boy Lex

Fans drop dead on standby on my 801s - just checked. Interesting point though.

Mad Mr H

Novice Member
How did the DIGI boy get in here :eek:

Just kidding.......

ALL Barcos (im not sure about cine9 or 909/919) switch the fans off when in standby mode.

Now for me I would prefer to leave the projector in STANDBY mode.

this keeps basic controls running such as main processor and I think the 8v power line.

This means the Power supply is NOT fully off BUT also means that it will be warm.

THIS IS A GOOD THING - Heat cycling of electronic equipment, and POWER cycling all reduce the life span of electronic equipment - HOWEVER for some equipment this is the only way to use it.

OVERHEATING whilst we are on the subject is a killer of electronic components, I think its something like every 5 deg extra the life span of capacitors reduces by 25-50 per cent - this is OVER the recomended running temp.

BARCO projectors do NOT COUNT standby hours (Marquees Do so I am told).

SO for me KEEP your BARCO in STANDBY when not in use.

(LCD/DLP type projectors switch into standby and run fans for approx 5 min, this is to keep the ELECTRONICS cool as the LAMP will still be emitting heat after power down, this also keeps the LCD display cool during this time so it can be in good order to produce pixels on its next use :D )

Alaric

Hi There,

My BG808 is in a custom hush box bolted to the ceiling. Its only 5cm away from the back wall, i couldn't get to the power switch regularly if i wanted to !

I always leave it in standby. Thats what the button is designed for. Remeber in a normal ceiling install for corperate use the rear power button would also normaly be inacessable so i'm sure Barco designed it for remote operation :D

cya,
Lee

Mad Mr H

Novice Member
Hi Alaric,

Remember they also stuck the remote next to the power button !!!!

So the sale of a mega priced infra red was always gonna be an easy kill for the sales team :eek:

Standby is best for your Barco in my opinion.

Top Bottom