Leaving O2 - retention deals

Jeronimo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am currently using O2 broadband on the old standard tariff so I'm not subject to the 20GB download cap (just fair use policy). I was getting a discount because I was an O2 customer, but I've since gone elsewhere and lost the £5 discount.

I'm currently paying £12.50/month which isn't bad, but I am thinking of moving to Be* who should offer much the same service but will be cheaper when I factor in Quidco.

Has anyone received a good retention offer from O2 when they have phoned to cancel? I'm happy to stay with them if the price is right.

Any examples of people getting a better deal? Did you have to move tariff? I'm not prepared to save a few quid but find myself with a 20GB cap each month!

I think O2 and Be* are also the same company and use each others infrastructure so suspect their FUP and other terms might be near on the same...something to bear in mind if you think you are moving to a different ISP entirely.

Pete

Has anyone received a good retention offer from O2 when they have phoned to cancel? I'm happy to stay with them if the price is right.

Any negotiation on the contract will result in you agreeing to the terms and conditions and such which are in place at the time of you taking the new price.
This is why places often phone up and try and get you to agree to renew/update your contract.

If you do get the 3 months free, like accy states - then you will be subject to any changes of their T&Cs since you joined.

I was told by an agent that to "name you price" if I withdrew my request to leave.

I have been on the "pro" for 18 months now and had no problems, but wanted FTTC and O2 have offered up no plans of when they'll do it. When I gave that as my reason he said "so it's not that you've got a better deal elsewhere?" and when I said no he said "well, if you tell me what you would be willing to pay not to go to fibre just now, I'll see what I can do to match that. As long as it's not something silly like 50p, I should be able to". I got the impression he wasn't bluffing too, as he started saying "go on, £7.50? £10 a month? what is it" :D

I didn't want to be tied to what is becoming a superceded technology for another 12 months, so declined, but it was tempting.

I had an email a few days back asking me to renew my contract as the anniversary is around now... there was a link which led me to a page offering 25% discount... BUT I had to agree to terms and conditions so I left well alone as £10 a month is what I pay right now and sync at 21 meg @
maybe something better will appear from someone sooner than 12 months time aswell and I would hate to be tied in for that period!!!
in the main I have not had any issues with the o2 service in the 24 months as a user
whereas after many years on telewest, virgin took over and pages seemed to take an age to look up even on 50 meg!!!!
It initially started to happen on the 20 meg at virgin which is why I went to o2 plus there was the cost saving aswell... being about 150 yards from an exchange is handy mind you

i am with o2 (joined feb last year and prob o2 pro broadband), and have been quite happy with everything.

i wanted to move my home telephone line to o2 but they would not do it unless i moved my broadband to one of their new inferior products. so once my year is up i may move again

trs1972 = Once your 12 month broadband contract is up you move on to a monthly rolling contract on the same package with the same t & c as your on now.

The O2 legacy broadband packages ( which you are on ) are really good for the money, i'm staying on mine for as long as possible ;)

I'm in the same situation as OP but I would like to move to a cheaper deal. Is there no way to change without getting the download cap?

Any change in package will mean you get stung with the new terms and conditions - thus will be capped, sadly there is no way of getting around this.

i've moved house and cancelled my o2 and gone to sky. We needed home phone and internet and all O2 were offering were things like 3 months free internet with the new t&c's and now i'm not on their mobile network anymore it costs more than sky to be capped and not get evening/weekend calls included. Sky are giving 3 months free broadband as well and once I added in the £50 quidco it was a no brainer to make the jump and save a fair bit of cash.

I have to say when i called o2 to cancel the guy was really rude to me about it. He was insistant i was doing the wrong thing and sky would overcharge me compared to them. I did explain i was cancelling my phone contract and loosing my discount and all the perks they were offering to switch but he carried on arguing with me over it, just made me want to leave more. I've not had any problems with o2 right up until i tried to leave.

trs1972 = Once your 12 month broadband contract is up you move on to a monthly rolling contract on the same package with the same t & c as your on now.

The O2 legacy broadband packages ( which you are on ) are really good for the money, i'm staying on mine for as long as possible ;)

Same situation here, on rolling monthly legacy contract now. They will offer great deals to get us off these contracts and onto their new T&C's but I'm not budging an inch.

The old home broadband deals were market leading, these new T&C's are market following at best. Avoid like the plague and be very careful when talking to O2, there are reports over on O2 forums that these products are being miss sold to unsuspecting customers..

On the comment about BE and O2 being essentially the same, not so. Yes they are technically under the Telefonica umbrella but BE's FUP is fair and much more like O2 legacy packages. Next stop BE if O2 terminate my contract.

I called about 2 months ago to see if i could upgrade to the pro deal, i think i'm on 8meg dload and unlim downloads and since i have an o2 phone i'm paying £7.50 a month, bargin indeed!

The lady told me those deals are now not on offer and it's all changed so the best she could suggest is to stick with what i've got as she didnt think my line is capable of faster anyway (turns out she was right) and that the best thing would probably be to not "renew" and just keep this one rolling over month by month.

Top class customer service i thought and also UK call centre, which really does make a difference.

I called up in December for my MAC and was told if I switched my phone line rental to them, I could have 12 months broadband FREE! So I accepted, couldn't argue with that. However now I have a new 24 month Orange mobile contract, I may switch phone/bb to them after this year with O2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom