Leaving my job for Study, would you do it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dudeness, Mar 13, 2013.

1. dudeness

dudeness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I'm at a stage in my life where I need an aim in life, as most of you know my daughter left home about 18 months ago and more recently I have become single (again) and I want to do something to change my life.

I would like to become a social worker, but have never had the opportunity to do this. I have been in touch with the University in Bmth and they advised that I complete a HE course for Social Work at College, and then apply to them again in 2014.

The college course is free (as with all HE courses) but I would either have to go part time at my current job or leave and find a weekend job as the college course is full-time.

I'm 42 now and by the time I would qualify I would be 46, does anyone think this is too late to start studying?

I would like to help children in the future with my social work job.

2. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    It's never too late to follow your heart. If it would make you happy go for it.

3. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    This is one of those looping questions.

Let's say you don't do, you'll get to 46 anyway, and then you'll be thinking man if I had done it, I would have been qualified by now.

And if you do, do it. You'll be saying "I ****ing rock, why didn't I start it sooner?".

Either way, you will get to 46. It's your choice whether you want to do it, or wait till you are 46, regret it deeply and then start doing something about it.

I haven't put that very eloquently, but there is a quote about it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    Having a bit of experience of social workers, I'd suggest you find a way to speak to some in your area first. Not wanting to put a dampener on things but you may well find the reality a whole lot less rewarding than you think. Also, given the way local authority spending is going at the moment, you could find yourself qualified but unable to find work.

If that line of work appeals then maybe enquire about support roles within children's services that don't demand the same level of training. There are also many other roles you could consider, such as Learning Support Assistant within school.

If you're still suffering with empty nest syndrome, maybe even look at fostering.

Congratulations on the new single status. From the little I've read previously it's probably for the best, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. Cyland101

Cyland101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    As far as studying at 42, it's never too late. My father in law only got his degree late in life, I think he was at least 60.... so you still have a way to go!

6. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    No , it was on the news yesterday apparently between 4 and 20 people chase every job !

go to night school :)

7. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    100% yes.

I'd hate to think I'm going to spend my life doing the same job - only just 30 and been doing t since 16. Although it's IT and it does change, it's still IT.

Maybe when I'm about you're age (early to mid 40's) I'd like to embark on something new. Hoping to be able to drop to 4 days a week to train, then 3 days to increase amount of training then do a bit of both at the same time, then completely transition.

Maybe sooner, you never know.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  8. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    100% no right now. Go travel the world, get some new experiences and when (if) you return you will have a whole lot more to draw from in whatever direction your work/study life takes.

9. dudeness

dudeness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    It's nice you remember my previous posts :) had a wee bit of counselling for the empty nest syndrome which kinda gave me the strength to end my relationship. I looked into fostering but got turned down straight away as I have a one bed place - which is silly really as I like to think I could have made a difference to someone's life.

10. DarenD

DarenD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Im stuck at 37. Need an engineering degree to progress. But can't afford the 2-3yrs study to get one. Guess Ill remain a site technician on a basic income rather then a high flying oil and gas engineer earning mega bucks.

Im a big believer in if its meant to be it will happen. If not then Im not going to be pacing the room everynight with worry.

11. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    What do you do now?

12. dudeness

dudeness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I'm an administrator for a facilities management company - Not great prospects :(

13. a l e x

a l e x
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Would you regret it if you didn't? If you would then definately go for it!

14. dudeness

dudeness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Alex, I've been in this position before with regards to becoming a social worker and I do regret it. When I first got with my now Ex boyfriend I put it all on the back burner to concentrate on him... :(

15. a l e x

a l e x
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Theres your answer then... ;)

16. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    :smashin:

Is that with the local authority or the private agencies? Essex County Council only require a separate bedroom for children over two. Although fostering babies must be extremely difficult as they could be in your care virtually from birth until the adoption process finally completes. That can be some two or more years later.

Administration skills should be in demand within social services because as you can imagine, there's an awful lot of admin! Another role that I don't think requires any formal qualification is supervising contact between fostered children & their birth family.

Although as I said before, this isn't the ideal time to be seeking employment in the public sector.

17. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Concentrate on yourself first. If you not completely happy within yourself, that will transfer to any relationship making it that much harder, which in turn could make you resent it when you end up with regrets as a result.

18. dudeness

dudeness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    That was Bournemouth Council stated they don't even look at potential Foster carers unless they have two room... Nearly wrote back and said that was bad as they're desperate for foster parents in the area at the moment.

Wouldn't know where to start looking for a non degree job in the social services!

19. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    Fostering & social services are usually provided by the County Council rather than borough/district. Maybe have a word with Dorset CC. There will also likely be a number of private fostering agencies operating in your area. Google will find them.

As for jobs: Jobs in Dorset on Dorset For You - Search for jobs

20. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,074
    I'd say go for it...if you can afford to etc... :)

I left the 6th form with virtually no qualifications and no clue on what to do - so I bummed around in dead jobs (dishwasher etc) until my mid 20s before going to uni, and at the same time I'd had a mate who went to college after school and wasn't able to get a job - and he ended up at the same dept store as me when I left to go to uni (in fact he's still there now - and he's got little cash etc) - and I was motivated by fact that if I was to give up then I knew what to expect - and this was a life with no cash etc (same as my parents)...it took years but I got there...

while my scenario is probably a bit different from yours (as I had nothing to lose) - you owe yourself to do it... :)

21. dudeness

dudeness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Well thank you for that, I found an admin job in Child Services and just applied, I'll let you know if I hear anything :)

22. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,514
    For an introduction to child services, see if you have a local homestart & volunteer there.

I started for them as the only male volunteer over two years ago, just as the Govt. removed all there funding; with that my volunteering role came to an end, so did the SS university application - cannot apply unless you have experience, cannot get experience if there is no funding for someone to 'shadow you'. You have to love this country....

I had no choice, albeit i would still rather do social work but to go back into IT/Telecoms & do a job I have no enjoyment in. I do carry out some volunteering for the ACF now, but it's not the same criteria, i wanted to get into the nitty gritty, those who really need support.

I would suggest try the homestart/surestart route, get a sense of what age groups you think you want to work with, babies, children, teenagers, adults, disabilities, abuse, elderly etc etc & then once you have decided; make a budget & accept money will be tight for the next few years.

Good luck.

23. MIghtyG

MIghtyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +987
    I would look into social care a little more, if its kids you want to work with try to speak to people who work in that field and see the pros and cons before you make the jump.

My other halfs parents have been in social work all their working lifes and foster care for two kids at the moment (one for about 9 years now and the other about 2 years) and its absolutely no walk in the park. I can say right now without a shadow of doubt that I could not do what they do, put up with what they deal with without ending up in jail.

If you are sure you want to do it and can afford to do it with all the risk that entails, finding a job after etc etc then sure. Go for it, never to late to try something new, I went to uni with a couple of folk in their 30s and 40s changing careers and the few I have kept in touch with were much happier now that they made the plunge.

You dont need a degree to be a 'high flying oil and gas engineer' the vast majority of the people I work with/for dont have degrees, they just have years and years and years of experience :)

Not saying a degree doesnt help, of course it does and can leap your career ahead a little but its not essential in allot of companies :)

24. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    One day you will wake up and there won't be any more time to do the things you always wanted to do. Do it now - Paulo Coehlo

If you really want it, go for it!

25. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Do it when you can, before it's too late.

I wish I'd re-trained when I was younger, I have a reasonable job, but it's not what I realised I wanted to do.

Mortgage, kids etc... means it will never happen now.

26. claire

claire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Kind of in a similar situation myself. Was in full time employment, got reduced to part time contract and now struggling. I went to college and uni straight after leaving school. College was good learnt a lot, uni I felt was a waste of time and we where all there to help there numbers is what it felt like. I don't put uni on my cv so the highest grade I have on it is hnd in computing. There is just no jobs out there relating to this and the job I am in just now has no chance of progression applied for college few months back and I have interview next week. My current employer has said that they will 'try' accomadate me so will see how it works out financially and with them being flexible with me.

27. iPooooon

iPooooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Is that the mark twain quote that goes something like "in twenty years time you'll be more disapponted by the things you didn't do than by the things that you did do" or something similar?

28. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    You should follow your dreams, especially if you at a crossroads in your life...

However, think carefully about the social worker thing ! I work across health, social care and the third sector and all I see are downtrodden social workers carrying a huge amount of responsibility, with little support. Yes health/social care is a hard place at the moment, but there are tons of social worker vacancies in my area, as there is a real shortage...I thought this shortage was national, so I reckon your employment prospects would be good.

I retrained at 33 (took me 4 years) - just make sure that what you are going for is really what you want, and that you are not in love with the IDEA of the job....as the living the dream can be somewhat different !. Maybe phone your local authority and ask to speak with a social worker/meet for coffee - you wont be able to shadow them but the may take 15mins out to describe their actual duties/day to day tasks.

29. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Not sure, I saw it ages ago, and it because meant that time goes on whether you want it to or not. Chose to do it now, or in x years time you'll be wishing you had started back then and not now x years later.

30. pault2007

pault2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,387
    I was extremely lucky to go to Uni between the ages of 19 and 22 (1999-2002) before I got my first-ever permanent job and first-ever full-time job.

Rather than the £9,000 a year people now have to pay, my parents only had to pay £400 a year for the 3 years of my Computer Science course.

I could never have gone to Uni these days with the fees per year as ridiculously expensive as they are (half my yearly salary).