Question Leaving Hisense Behind for a Sony?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mcfizzle, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mcfizzle

mcfizzle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,
    I've been using an Hinsense 50" for the past two years and it's okay for true 4k content but has really terrible upscaling! I recently was impressed by a friend's new screen - a Sony KD43XE8369 - so I'm thinking of upgrading to that to get better upscaling and HDR (I'll also be using it for PC gaming). Do you think that's a good jump or is there something else around the £650 mark that would be a big step up from the Hisense?

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    When reviewers often laud at Hisense's good upscaling then I doubt getting a Sony now will be much better than getting a new Hisense.

The XE83xx series also uses IPS panels so you'll get worse contrast and blacks compared to a modern Hisense.

Not sure which model you have but it also probably uses a VA type panel so it will probably even have worse blacks and contrast than your current TV.

With £650 to spend better value would be found going for the Sony 55XE70xx series or Hisense 55N6800. XE83xx is really, really overpriced.

3. mcfizzle

mcfizzle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Dodgexander!
    Thanks so much for your really helpful response!
    I have a Hisense LTDN50K321 from Nov 2015 and I can't say I'm hugely impressed with it. Lots of judder on all content types even with the fancy stuff turned off.
    I quite liked the Sony my friend has at has triluminous, plus x-motion, and is 400hz (motion).
    Given all this do you still think the Sony XE700 and Hisense you mention would be a good step up?
    Many thanks!

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    Don't be fooled by Sony's fake 400hz marketting. The XE83 may be able to use motionflow at higher levels but on Sony TVs this means lots of soap opera effect. As you will see on Sony's website itself the TV has the same hz (50) as the XE80 and the XE70.

It is only really useful to have the ability to set motionflow on higher setting if you are a fan of motion interpolation. Most people here on AVF aren't because they do not like the drawbacks asscoated with it such as soap opera effect or motion artefacts.

I like to be as frank as I can be when I make recommendations. I don't want someone to buy a TV thinking it is going to be a lot better than it is only later to get it home to find out they feel they have wasted money. In the respect of the Sony XE83 I would be scared of you thinking that. It, on paper has worse specifications than your current TV for head on viewing and it will only really trump it with wider viewing angles.

If you are sensitive to motion judder I would seriously suggest you look instead at spending more on a TV that has a higher hz panel such as the Samsung 55MU7000 or Sony 55XE85xx series instead. You will still have to use enhancements like motionflow or in Samsungs case motion plus but because the screen refreshes faster you can use it more effectively with less drawbacks to a 50/60hz model.

If you cannot afford a model as expensive of those I would be hesitant to upgrade at at all because I still think there will be very little difference between these models and your current TV but certainly the Sony XE70xx series and Hisense N6800 are better value options than Sony's XE80 or XE83.

5. mcfizzle

mcfizzle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again,
    Thanks again for taking the time to provide these insights - really useful. I'm going to take your advice and go for the Sam MU7000 but upon reading about it the consensus here seems to be that last years model, the KS8000 actually, is far superior. I notice it is also priced very similarly to the MU7000. I would prefer the KS model but am struggling to find it anywhere. Do you have any tips for hunting out old TVs. The KS has FALD amongst other nice features.
    Thanks once again,
    Andrew

6. sw1977

sw1977
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mcfizzle, I have just bough the XE8077 and it is a good TV for the price. The upscaling is excellent for SD-HD or HD-4K. HDR isnt great but there isnt that much out there and TBH i prefer non HDR on a mid range TV. If you are not wanting to spend a fortune, then it is one for the best you can buy for the money.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    The KS8000 isn't FALD, its still an edge lit model. Its main difference between this years MU8000 and last years KS8000 is it meets UHD Premium specs for HDR whilst this years model doesn't. That's only important if you use HDR and want it to look better, which most people don't. In other respects they are both very similar edge lit models. For comparisons sake a more comparative model this year to last years KS range is the Samsung Q7..currently priced at £1200+ - now you get an idea of how much prices can change.

Finding them is hard though, sometimes you see people come on here thinking they have found one only to later find out the retailer is out of stock or it its a refurb/ex display and there seems to bethe odd one kicking around eBay as refurbs but its a big risk. Its safe really to assume it will be very difficult finding one now I don't really have any tips other than to look in ex/display refurb sections of retailers websites and on eBay too.

But such is the way of TVs, the price changes dramatically between when a model is released and when its discounted in clearance sales in spring of each year. The KS8000 is only the same price as the MU8000 because it has already been fully discounted, if you wait for the clearance sales this year you will find this years models most similar to the KS8000 in features around the same price. It makes comparisons between discounted models from the year before and models still quite high in price this year easy, of course the more discounted model will be better value.

Buying a TV isn't so much about which model you go for, generally TVs are worth what you pay for them but its when you buy that makes the most difference.

Do you absolutely need to buy now? Do you absolutely need good HDR performance? If you are intending to use the TV for PC gaming HDR on PC at the moment really isn't there yet and probably won't be for some time yet.

These are questions you can ask yourself to make the right decision.

8. ila66

ila66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    the 55MU7000 is only £799 at richer sounds at the moment with a 6 year warranty

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    That is certainly a great deal.

10. mcfizzle

mcfizzle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dodgexander,
    I ended up finding the cash for a LG OLED 55B7 - it arrived yesterday, and I'm very chuffed with it.
    Wanted to say thanks again for your input and insight!

11. sw1977

sw1977
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually took my 8077 back and got the 9005 which is an amazing TV, not OLED but great