Leaving Destiny, but for what??

ChrisHoppyBot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've pretty much done everything I can with Destiny and I'm struggling to find a different game to play. I'm not a massive PvP fan but I love the events that take place, Iron Banner and Trials, and I love the variation of the PvE side of things.

I've been knee deep in Destiny for over a year so not really sure what's out there. I did try the Division for 12 hours but that became boring very quickly.

Is there anything else out there that can hold my attention?

ChrisHoppyBot

Borderlands 2 is great run and gun fun. There's nothing really out there quite like Destiny. It really is the daddy of what it does.
I'm in the same boat. Sunk 1300+ hours into Destiny but was underwhelmed with Rise of Iron and have barely played it for last 6 weeks. Fortunately i have 3 mates and FF15 roumd the corner.

Borderlands 2 is great run and gun fun. There's nothing really out there quite like Destiny. It really is the daddy of what it does.
I'm in the same boat. Sunk 1300+ hours into Destiny but was underwhelmed with Rise of Iron and have barely played it for last 6 weeks. Fortunately i have 3 mates and FF15 roumd the corner.

I did think about Borderlands 2 but the graphics aren't my cup of tea.

The only thing I have left to do is the Aksis Challenge. I've done and have everything else.

I'll see if I can pick up a copy of Quantum Break to tide me over until maybe SRL.

you played the halo games? If not Master chief collection is a bargain and Halo 5 good.

re borderlands, I never fancied the art style, but then played on PC and loved it. When playing you don't think about it.

also division is good so surprised you didn't enjoy, especially early on. It's also had an overhaul so you may enjoy more now if you try again.

Overwatch.
Battlefield 1.
Halo 5.
Rise of the tomb raider.
Forza Horizon 3.

All great games. Games that are actually and not just grinding tiny amounts of content repeatedly to get a new piece of digits that turns out to be useless two days after you get it.

As a big Borderlands fan, I did find it difficult to get back into Borderlands after Destiny, its engine is showing is age both in looks and the gameplay which feels crude after Destiny as the basic combat is one area where Destiny absolutely excels. It's also difficult going from a dribble of guns to just constant different guns and trying to choose what's better particularly as the stats on a gun can vary massively even to the degree that some guns slow you down and one constantly mocks you.

On the plus side though I feel Borderlands does many things a lot better than Destiny, there's almost no grinding in comparison to Destiny - you go to an area, do the side missions and then go to the next one then when you finish the game you have the option of another playthrough keeping your character and skills but tougher enemies. The range of weapons is tremendous and there's a lot of crossover so you get sniper rifles that fire like a shotgun at range, assault rifles that are more like sniper rifles and many useless ones in between but it keeps the motivation going for more loot. The elemental damage is handled well with elemental weapons doing less outright damage but gaining a big boost on enemies weak to that element as well as always having a damage over time effect.

Borderlands also allows for much more customisation of your character and their items which is an area I found Destiny frustratingly shallow, when playing with my brother I configured my character as a tank with lots of health and capable of huge close range damage. My brother on the other hand went for a long range character putting everything into his sniping skills so he could sit miles back and take out big enemies. The two characters clicked well together with mine mopping up all the small enemies and my brother covering me at range. For example, in Destiny you can't choose any property of your shield but in Borderlands you can have one with a huge amount of health but slow to recharge, or the other way round, or one that blows up enemies when it is emptied or one that throws acid on them etc.

At the moment Gears of War 4 has been my Destiny alternative although it's quite a different game.

John

Not trying to be funny but have you played Diablo 3 already? While different in style it bares about the most similarities to Destiny IMO, gets the RPG light just perfect and there's constant tweaks you can make to your abilities and things you equip etc. There seems to be a never ending stream of erate and exotic items with unique rolls that for me were truly exciting to discover, and the end game is just superb with Rifts etc. Just like Destiny you can pile countless hours into it and still feel rewarded and is great for co-op.

I'm in the same boat as you re Destiny, sadly I've already ground the hell out of Diablo 3(although I think there is still some more content coming to it so might even revisit).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom