Leaving and/or cancelling sky club

Yes to both, Now is 720p and my TV upscales more than well enough. For day to day programmes not sure why Full HD is needed and if I want a high quality movie I'll use Apple TV
Fair point, I personally can't cope with SD but it is a cracking deal. I'm almost tempted to get it for my mum - she's already got BT broadband and watches everything in SD as it is...

Fair point, I personally can't cope with SD but it is a cracking deal. I'm almost tempted to get it for my mum - she's already got BT broadband and watches everything in SD as it is...
Really the only SD viewing I'll get is Netflix, I have Now TV already for F1 for a month and the 720p upscaled was good enough for that so will be ok with the Entertainment channels on Now. The £6 doesn't even cover a Now TV pass (unless discounted) so anything else is a bonus. Not sure how they're making money, I guess they hope people will carry on once the 24 months are up.....

£144 for two years of entertainment ain't a bad deal though!
Yeah I agree.
I’m in the middle of a decent(ish) Sky deal at the moment, but just looking at what I’ve got to look forward to if I let the contract lapse, entertainment + cinema + Sky sports + uhd Netflix + BT sport + multiroom will cost £140 a month.
The exact same package through BT at list prices would be £83 with the added benefit of being able to cancel any individual pack whenever I want or need to.
Makes you think!

The packaging turned up today to return all my Sky kit. Amazing that everything fits into what starts out as a bit of flat cardboard!
In other news I’m now leaving the ‘Leaving Manhattan T3-R Club’ too. Had it for just over a month but a few little niggles, and the fact that I’m using catch up services pretty much exclusively for terrestrial stuff, have made me decide to sell it on. I’ll just use the built in Freeview Play on my LG TV for the odd bit of ‘live’ viewing, and save a bit more cash.

My 31 days notice expires on 3rd March. Sky haven’t offered any deal to retain my custom after 21 non-stop years as a customer. Last night I removed the Sky Q and mini boxes and installed the new Freesat recorder box on the main TV. Works just fine. And the picture quality on HD channels is actually much better than via the Sky Q box it replaced, which is a pleasant surprise.

So that’s me now moved to Freesat for live TV and everything else will be streamed via Apple TV 4K - Netflix, Prime, Disney and Apple TV+. Trialling Now TV also.

I'm new to all this, I've recently cancelled my Sky subscription and in the 30 day period. What box did you get and can you pause/record as normal?

I'm new to all this, I've recently cancelled my Sky subscription and in the 30 day period. What box did you get and can you pause/record as normal?

I bought the FreeSat 1TB recordable box - this one - Recordable 4K TV Box - although the price appears to have gone up a bit, although that soon pays for itself with no Sky subscription to worry about.

It works just fine. Picture quality on HD channels is better than my Sky Q box. Recording works fine. Pausing live TV works fine. I only use it for Live free to air TV as I use an Apple TV 4K for Netflix, Prime etc.

I see that some other users complain about the box forcing HDR and also some issues when connected to a 5-1 surround system, but neither of those issues impact me. There is a thread on here about it all. I'm more than happy with it.

After reading this and other threads on the topic, I cancelled Sky after 20 odd years. We simply weren’t getting the value out of our subscription and the final decision was made when I ran the idea past my wife and kids and no-one batted an eyelid. I was pretty surprised but it just goes to show how our viewing habits have changed so fundamentally in a relatively short space of time.

I spent some time here researching the options and, in the end, just took out the satellite cables from the two Sky HD+ boxes and popped them into our two Samsung TVs. I never got Sky Q (sounds silly but I hated the remote and we never needed all the upgraded features) so I didn’t have any issues with the LNB. I bought a couple of USB HDDs using Nectar points - wanted to keep this experiment cost as low as possible - and plugged them into the TVs. Scanned the channels, formatted the drives and spent a few minutes working out how the remote and Freesat EPG works. Then I made sure I had installed and set up, on the tellies, all the streaming services for the terrestrial channels.

Recording works but the main thing is pausing and rewinding and that’s sorted too. Showed all the family what to do with the new setup and what do you know? We are all very comfortable using it and my wife has been using ITV hub/iPlayer/4 etc automatically and naturally when she hardly ever used them before.

The whole move has been a success and we’re no longer spending nearly £90/month for essentially watching FTA channels on our Sky box. I hardly watched sport as I just didn’t have the time but had started getting back into F1 after a multi-year hiatus - again, time was an issue so I’ll be happy catching highlights on 4.

Oh, have also seen some mention of it on another thread but we have no issue recording while the TV is on standby.

Last edited:
Hi all, never been a Sky user, but my Father-in-law currently is. He received a letter advising his current contract was coming to an end and as per normal, the bill was going to increase from £19 to £78.
He only has the very basic tv, phone & broadband package. He obviously doesn't want to pay the extra - what are his options?

Are you sure that existing price of £19 includes Sky TV and broadband?
That seems to be an absolute bargain he’s had.
All he can do is go online and chat or phone them, plead poverty and try to negotiate a cheaper deal.

Are you sure that existing price of £19 includes Sky TV and broadband?
That seems to be an absolute bargain he’s had.
All he can do is go online and chat or phone them, plead poverty and try to negotiate a cheaper deal.
Sorry my bad - type - I believe it was £39 ish he was paying.

Is there an online chat or whatsapp service similar to virgin?

Is there an online chat or whatsapp service similar to virgin?
All the contact options are under the “yes I still need help“ button at the bottom of this page.

I have signature, movies, Netflix, hd and superfast bb. Contract ends 7th June. The out of contract cost £103. I decided to leave and had intended to move bb to Now, having checked I could get it. Current cost after 2 in contact April price rises £66.50. Called out of curiosity and was offered 85. Cancelled and will be leaving and have had 2 offers by email, 74 and 63.50. Way to much to even consider. But the kicker, Now broadband is no longer available, called them to confirm and the advisor checked and I could get it, details provided for the order and when he put it through no longer available. It appears the sky cancellation has blocked me from getting Now bb, might not be the case but very suspicious. Don't cancel sky bb if you want Now bb just to be sure, order it and let them do it.

It appears the sky cancellation has blocked me from getting Now bb, might not be the case but very suspicious. Don't cancel sky bb if you want Now bb just to be sure, order it and let them do it.

Same for any broadband (except Virgin) - don't cancel your existing broadband. Order with your new provider first, and that automatically cancels your existing one.
Don't have the exact details to hand, but I think the line should free up again within a couple of weeks, so you should be able to place the order again then?
Alternatively, see if Sky will match the Now price just for broadband, and if they can reverse the cancellation?
I moved from Sky Broadband to Now with no issues a couple of months ago.

Hi, I'm not in a virgin enabled area however starting the process for talk talk or plusnet I get past the availability check so does that stop when I try to complete the order? Good advice about sky, to date they have only offered £30 a month for superfast guess a call wouldn't hurt.

Hi, I'm not in a virgin enabled area however starting the process for talk talk or plusnet I get past the availability check so does that stop when I try to complete the order? Good advice about sky, to date they have only offered £30 a month for superfast guess a call wouldn't hurt.
I would definitely try to reverse the broadband cancellation. I can’t see why Sky wouldn’t agree to that.
By cancelling, you have effectively blocked yourself from ordering from any other ISP, at a guess probably because your cabinet is full.
If you hadn’t cancelled your existing line would have been available to transfer to Now, but you’re now in a queue waiting for a line to become available.
Yours will become available obviously, but there is no way of knowing if you’re at the front of the queue or face an even longer wait.

Thanks all, I contacted sky and the cancellation on the line was reversed and deals are now showing as available.

Very interesting thread

I cancelled Sky TV three years ago. After a few months I cancelled my TV licence as well. I now watch Netflix, Prime and that’s it. Even considering cancelling Netflix but not yet. I have converted all my movies and TV box sets to my NAS and I’m happy.

I still have Sky broadband because the service is good and Sky PPM mobile which is fine. Looked at the likes of Vodafone for broadband but customer service seems poor and like others they apply a 3.99% per annum increase PLUS CPI !
At the moment that’s 3.99% plus nearly 10%. That’s 14% which confirmed next March. Rip off

Very interesting thread

I cancelled Sky TV three years ago. After a few months I cancelled my TV licence as well. I now watch Netflix, Prime and that’s it. Even considering cancelling Netflix but not yet. I have converted all my movies and TV box sets to my NAS and I’m happy.

I still have Sky broadband because the service is good and Sky PPM mobile which is fine. Looked at the likes of Vodafone for broadband but customer service seems poor and like others they apply a 3.99% per annum increase PLUS CPI !
At the moment that’s 3.99% plus nearly 10%. That’s 14% which confirmed next March. Rip off
That's a good point and one of the reasons I have just left. An 18 month contract means 2 increases every other renual, that resulted in a 13% increase during my last contract, if sky impliment it fully and things stay as they are it could be over 20 and getting on for 30. I liked sky broadband but the quoted £27 for superfast was to much. Thinking Now will provided the same service at £21 with £90 cashback for 12 months with free anytime and evening calls is a risk I'm willing to take.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom