Leaving and/or cancelling sky club

Its a good point. The recent increases for Broadband were too much for me. Luckily it coincided with a decrease in speed due to technical issue they can't resolve so I got a bunch of credits and refunds. Brought my monthly average cost to £24 for super fast FTTC... so cheapish. And because its just below their guarantee I can leave anytime without penalty. But the service is so good and I still get 50Mb rather than the minimum 53. Thats good enough for me

Watch out for the annual increases plus inflation. Not sure if Now do it

Been a month or so since I left. It’s gone so well that I genuinely think I’ve frittered away thousands over the past few years.

Hey ho, all good. Freesat, catch-up and all the big streaming services are doing us just fine.

Same here. Cancelled in March. No regrets whatsoever. Also just signed up to 6 months of Now TV entertainment and cinema for £4.99 and £3.99 per month respectively. That’s significantly better than via Sky satellite. And I can cancel whenever I want of course.

Sky emailed me last week with a “come back” offer, 50% off everything. I wasn’t remotely tempted.

Decided it time to leave sky, we have sky Q with multiroom and all we seem to watch is BBC, Netflix, D+ and YouTube. What a waste of £73/month.

Appart from calling them is there an email option, or something that's a bit more convenient for those of us that don't have the time or work silly shifts and can't do their opening hours?

Just click on the “Get Help” button at MySky and select “My account” then “Account & subscription” and then click “Cancelling”

Decided it time to leave sky, we have sky Q with multiroom and all we seem to watch is BBC, Netflix, D+ and YouTube. What a waste of £73/month.

Appart from calling them is there an email option, or something that's a bit more convenient for those of us that don't have the time or work silly shifts and can't do their opening hours?
[email protected] is the email address to contact them for any account related queries, including cancellation.

Thanks you're a legend.
I'll be firing off a cancellation email to the very same address as soon as my contract is up too. My Q box is basically sitting in standby doing nothing for weeks on end. Pointless having Sky any more.

Well I tried to cancel but they got me for another 12 months @£5/month, basically renting the Q box off them and only receiving the free channels with recored functions, cheaper than buying a decent freesat box as the credit in my account means I have nothing to pay for 4 months either.
I'll cancel in 12 months now 😂

Well I tried to cancel but they got me for another 12 months @£5/month, basically renting the Q box off them and only receiving the free channels with recored functions, cheaper than buying a decent freesat box as the credit in my account means I have nothing to pay for 4 months either.
I'll cancel in 12 months now 😂
That's nuts. Though it's probably cheaper & easier for them to keep their hardware out there and in people's homes rather than having to go to the hassle of sending out packaging, waiting for the box to be returned & refurbished, etc.
If they offer me the same I'm not going to bother as it just won't get used and I'd rather have the space back under the TV. I've got a perfectly good Freeview HD recorder plus a Freesat tuner in my TV for anything on the free-to-air channels. I'd sooner just switch the LNB on the dish and banish Sky for good.

Thanks to the posters about the £5 per month deal (Sky Q/Essentials pack) I was offered this today after I put in my cancellation last week, seems a no brainer for 12-months (£60) vs. the cost of a freesat box, in the short term anyway. I am going to loose a mini box but it was not being used so they are sending a box for the return of this, as for the channels I checked on the planner and on scheduled recordings and everything was FTA channels!

I was all for Freesat until reading about the problems people were having and the customer service side of things, will review in 12 months to see if it's any better.

Sounds like a good deal. Do you get the FTA channels in HD?
When you return the minibox, make sure you keep hold of the proof of postage and the tracking info. Sky's hardware returns system is completely borked and they'll send out threats of non-return fees automatically, despite having received the hardware, so you may well need proof.

I'm not sure but I can't see why not as they are FTA, they said to keep proof of postage!

Update: - Shows HD on the usual FTA channels

Last edited:
I'm paying £70 a month for the basic package with Sports but have just binned off the Sports (as only get to watch one game a week at best). My Sky Q now has no signal and they want to charge me to send an engineer out, which got me thinking do i actually need it.

We have Amazon, Netflix, Hayu (the wife would watch Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank if it was on) and all we watch on Sky if honest is the ITV news in the morning, so have decided to get rid.

What's the cheapest way i can get the basic Freeview channels online, as opposed to through an aerial (as the signal is shocking here)? I have a PS5, Series X etc, do any of those have the correct app to help?

Thanks.

What's the cheapest way i can get the basic Freeview channels online

As you have a dish, why not a Freesat box if you don't have a Freesat compatible TV?

It only costs the price of the box.

Oh, i was unaware i could use that dish with anything other than a Sky box. Not sure why i thought that though!
I have a Sony A1 tv but the Freeview on it runs through an aerial rather than online and that doesnt work at all round here annoyingly.

Freeview and Freesat are not the same thing, but have most of the same channels.

Depending upon the model year of your TV (2021?) it should be compatible and not require an exterior box just for viewing Freesat, just connect the cables to the TV rather than the Sky Box.
It may even allow basic recoding to USB. (I'm unsure)

Use iPlayer and the rest?
Freesat TV needs a standard LNB not a SkyQ one.

I connected the two satellite cables to the tv and it came up with an LNB overload warning on the screen, guess that's why.
Have convinced the wife to use the Series X for her 'regular' tv fix as it has both iPlayer and ITV Hub on it, and we have remote for it. Thanks for the help though, shall now email Sky to cancel.

I'm paying £70 a month for the basic package with Sports but have just binned off the Sports (as only get to watch one game a week at best). My Sky Q now has no signal and they want to charge me to send an engineer out, which got me thinking do i actually need it.

We have Amazon, Netflix, Hayu (the wife would watch Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank if it was on) and all we watch on Sky if honest is the ITV news in the morning, so have decided to get rid.

What's the cheapest way i can get the basic Freeview channels online, as opposed to through an aerial (as the signal is shocking here)? I have a PS5, Series X etc, do any of those have the correct app to help?

Thanks.
Sky do not charge for an engineer (installer) visit when you have Sky Q and a Sky subscription unless there's something you’re not telling us.

They do, as i found out today. It's a £15 charge for them to come at the weekend, otherwise the earliest they could come would be the 20th. I booked them in for Sunday.

Yes Freesat TVs and most FS receivers don't work with a Q LNB.
You said in #122 that you would cancel so why do you need them?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom